View Single Post
Old 10 August 2015, 16:30   #207

Originally Posted by beezle View Post
I've not seen line numbers in a basic dialect for years. As for data types, perhaps I've missed something, but ints, floats, strings, words, and long words (where relevant) are supported by pretty much any basic I've seen in an equally long time, along with structures (or equivalents,... Newtypes for blitz for eg.).
As for program flow,... does anyone use things like goto or gosub anyway? Most basics I've used can call procedures/functions.

To each their own, but it seems some people still liken basic to versions from a few decades ago (although even then they started evolving).
Which is one of the major problems with BASIC. I know, my own BASIC interpreter has all those features but at least I admit that mine is a toy!

People absolutely should learn line numbering first - if they have never touched code before then it makes it so much easier to visualise what's going on. They can leave line numbers behind when they leave BASIC behind, and should be encouraged to do so.

As I said in my previous post, you're making the assumption that an absolute beginner should understand what things like datatypes are and be proficient with calling procedures and functions when by their very definition ("Beginner") they don't even know what an instruction is.

Edit: Right now, I'm being paid to develop a teaching system for 7 year olds to learn to code with. I've made a start on the manual, and I'm having to get a few chapters in on what numbers are as opposed to strings - and that's before I even touch upon actual code. I suspect that not many people have a real grasp on how basic(!) the knowledge of a real beginner is.

Page generated in 0.05081 seconds with 9 queries