Thread: Abandonware
View Single Post
Old 11 May 2003, 14:25   #26
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Originally posted by Syko
nah, Sony attacked the mod chips because they could.

They used expensive laywers who talked fast enough to bamboozle the morons who sit on benches. The mod chip importers shutdown rather than take them on.

End of story.

The flashlinker steped on the copyright toes of nintendo - as you say the SDK did the same job.

The RIAA says a lot about what the DMCA can and can't do. One thing it can't do, is prevent people who have bought somthing from altering it to their hearts content.

Yes, I know about the law which says this is hacking, and I do not belive that it is enforcable, as their is an enormous body of 'prior art' that can be used. The problem is that no one with the financial backup has taken them on in this area.

If you remove the copy protection, then that specific modification is almost certainly illegal, however I wasn't refering to that, I was talking about customising. Given the American hot rod and custom scene, I'm sure that they would be more than a little interested in a customiser being prosecuted for customising!

Indeed the copy of M$ IE that I'm using has been turned into 'Irritating Exploder' Ok, ok, a very minor bolt on job, but still technicaly illegle in the good old land of the free...... the one thing I find really strange in all this is, why, in country with easily available firearms is Hilary Rosen still alive? :kill

Find a loony, program them and give 'em a gun. End of problem.
The people with the layers and money are the ones who make the rules. I dont see much of a problem with modifying your console. If you crack it open you void the warrenty, but it shouldnt be illegal.
Page generated in 0.08711 seconds with 9 queries