View Single Post
Old 03 August 2015, 15:03   #220
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
The point is, you could write the most efficient bubble sort ever in hand-coded asm, but even a crudely implemented quick sort written in AMOS Basic would still outperform it given a sufficiently large input.
Of course the algorithm helps, but it's not always like bubble vs quick sort. My asm implementation of jpeg's "slow int" DCT is faster than the compiled "fast int" version - slower algorithm, but still faster code.

Well then you would say, if you wrote the quick sort in asm it would be ever faster still. And you'd be right. But the user really doesn't care if he gets his result in a tenth of a second or a hundredth of a second, but he sure as hell doesn't want to have to wait ten minutes.
Obviously, but if you have something taking 90% cpu, you're happy it's not twice as slow. When i rewrote mpega.library's huffman decoder (which was C), i was happy to finally be able to listen to 320kbps mp3s on my 030 with acceptable quality.

Of course we care about speed, but performance isn't the only consideration. There are other priorities too, such as development time, portability, maintainability, and of course being able to hire people who can actually do it.
Never said otherwise.
Page generated in 0.05378 seconds with 9 queries