View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 22:53   #198
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Yes indeed, i have been inspired to look up the executable size problem, if you include "iostream" in a C++ program it can add quite a lot to the object code size if it gets statically linked (which is apparently the default for some reason?) so if you have lots of object files presumably you end up with multiple copies of it.
Normally a good linker should be able to cope with that...

Quote:
The machine code produced will be more complex maybe, but surely the source code will be simpler? Depends on definition of "complex" at this point.
Alas the source code isn't always simpler... actually for OOP i might even say it's often, if not always, bigger...

Quote:
RTTI adds class information (data) to the output. "Overhead free" exceptions also increase code size (trade off between code size and performance).
Never used RTTI, but isn't it for debug purposes only ? At least i wouldn't use it for any other reason.

Quote:
Go!
I gave this example before and got no reply. How complex should some PNG decoder be ? I bet you can easily have code that's 20x the size of my own 68k implementation... and even the source may well be much larger than my asm one.

Quote:
That is a judgement... some people find log files useful. Would be nice to be able to turn them off though. But in my experience of running Linux it is not "incredibly high activity". User apps seems far worse than the OS anyway. (Edit: from what i'm reading right now, Firefox is one of the worst culprits...)
Anyway it's a fact i've observed that hard drives live longer in an amiga than in a pc.
About FF, you can also observe its memory usage. Gruesome.

Quote:
an angel on my shoulder... or was it the devil?
Oh noes they've found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
God himself told him how to build his OS.
This is not true I did not tell anything to that guy

Page generated in 0.05548 seconds with 9 queries