View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 21:07   #196
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Well, did you know... the "complex algorithm" is often a small part of the overall code. In complex systems, most code is for system specific stuff (e.g. ui), not bare computations.
ok true, although we use platform-independent libraries for that. i don't know how inefficient those libraries are, but some of them are vastly over-specified for the simple things we use them for. which doesn't matter so much on Linux, because they can be shared with other things that use them, but on Windows we package up the DLLs...

but the general-purpose library (for GUI, 3D engine or whatnot) has to be able to cope with a broad range of use cases... and there are so many different ones that provide essentially the same features. Frankly i would like to dispense with the lot of them and re-implement them in house. In an ideal world there would be time and funding for that...

Furthermore, the used programming language - independently of the compiler's quality - may also be responsible of a lot of additional code.
Yes indeed, i have been inspired to look up the executable size problem, if you include "iostream" in a C++ program it can add quite a lot to the object code size if it gets statically linked (which is apparently the default for some reason?) so if you have lots of object files presumably you end up with multiple copies of it.

If you code in c, your code will be more complex than with asm. If you use OOP, then even more complex.
The machine code produced will be more complex maybe, but surely the source code will be simpler? Depends on definition of "complex" at this point.

RTTI adds class information (data) to the output. "Overhead free" exceptions also increase code size (trade off between code size and performance).

If you want we may try to find a concrete example, coded in various ways, and see how big the differences are. Must have some complexity, not too high. Ready ?

The physical disk corruption was just an example. The main problem is the incredible high disk activity in everyday use. Hiding it is meaningless, there is still activity that shouldn't be here.
That is a judgement... some people find log files useful. Would be nice to be able to turn them off though. But in my experience of running Linux it is not "incredibly high activity". User apps seems far worse than the OS anyway. (Edit: from what i'm reading right now, Firefox is one of the worst culprits...)

Who gave you this mission ?
an angel on my shoulder... or was it the devil?

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 02 August 2015 at 21:30.
Page generated in 0.06141 seconds with 9 queries