View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 18:55   #193
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
You never have a program that's only pure computation. At one place or another, you have interactions with the OS.
well... ok... but it's the computation part of the user program that might necessarily be complex, and... does anybody remember the point of this conversation?

i think it was that sometimes you need complex algorithms and data structures. of course you don't need to have a complex operating system to write a complex user program. but if you have a computer with a lot of resources, someone will probably find a use for a complex program, and the more complex the program the more likely it is to have unexpected bugs in it.

If the operating system is simple, great! Make it as simple as you can, but no simpler... a simple OS that is unlikely to have bugs, to protect us from complex software that is highly likely to have bugs. That sounds nice.

Well, you can eventually redirect hd activity to some ram disk, it's nevertheless disk activity.
i feel there is a word game going on here.

if the system is writing to ram disk when it unexpectedly loses power, it's not going to corrupt my physical disk, is it?

I could give my own stories about team development, but during all that time i'm still waiting for someone to hack my amiga config.
well i have to keep you distracted, remember!
Page generated in 0.07934 seconds with 9 queries