View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 16:46   #186
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
When i mean less complex, i mean for the exact same work, exact same algorithm.
ok, but now i'm puzzled... how is that so? Apart from that m68k is so much nicer, i would certainly rather implement any algorithm in m68k asm than in x86 asm. But if it is only pure computation, and not interactions with the OS, surely there can be no difference? Or you mean, the same computation can be done on a less complex OS?

Hint : peecees started hitting the disk constantly at the same time they started to have memory protection.
you mean at the same time they started having an MMU... which can do not only memory protection, but virtual memory. Windows did seem to like using swap space a lot. Having more RAM helps. Feel free also to blame bloatware at this point (which i don't deny exists).

i just ran ioctl on my (Linux) PC. The biggest culprit for occasional HDD access was Firefox. After i closed that and Thunderbird (the only things running), there was no disk activity at all. I guess mounting /tmp and /var/tmp as ram filesystems makes a difference.

Of course but it was probably quite easy to fix, and don't forget that it worked on MUI - one of the most complex software we have.
Points to note:
* Amiga became more secure after software update
* One of the most complex software had a bug

Usually these things are simple to fix. They are just situations nobody thought of, because you can't think of everything. The more complex the code is, the more things there are to think about. Also i just remembered the things i was thinking about last night, that being the perils of development by teams.

Sometimes what you get is two bugs, that are very simple to fix individually, and are by appearance quite unrelated, but it turns out fixing both at once requires a little more care. The problem is, each bug was assigned to a different person...

We also had on our team once, a guy who was from a military embedded systems background. He was a disciplined coder, and he knew his stuff, and he'd write some fix and one of us would review it, and it would be very nice and neat and logical, and simple and clear and easy to understand. And we'd go "yeah, that all makes sense". And it would get pushed. And it would break everything. And there would be "oops" and red faces.

There exist competitions for writing this sort of code.

What you describe here isn't the root cause, but rather a consequence.
It's a good old chicken-and-egg scenario.
Page generated in 0.05803 seconds with 9 queries