View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 16:16   #185
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
that sometimes you need a complex program (complex data structures and algorithms) to perform a task, especially if performance is an issue.

The same task could be done with less complexity, bubble sort is less complex than heap sort for instance, but it is not as fast. If you are working on large sets of data, you need the complexity to deal with it... or wait all day for your results.

And sometimes a task really *can't* be done with less complexity. Sorting is a simple task with more or less complex ways to do it. Some problems are just complex problems.
When i mean less complex, i mean for the exact same work, exact same algorithm.

(i was talking about scariest Amiga crash from my own asm-coding, not scariest ever.)
True, and things can be left inconsistent if disks are turned off without being synced, at least Amiga doesn't have that problem, but it is done for performance reasons i gathered. There exist less fragile file system designs now but when power is lost unexpectedly Windows still makes a terrible fuss about it (happened at work a while back, and it had to check the entire filesystem, taking hours for some reason). Then again why exactly DO PCs access the disk so much? I know there is a lot of logging going on. Maybe it's worth investigating how much could be eliminated. I did mount /tmp &c as ram drives already.
Hint : peecees started hitting the disk constantly at the same time they started to have memory protection.

Maybe not but if so it's not because the Amiga got any simpler!
Of course but it was probably quite easy to fix, and don't forget that it worked on MUI - one of the most complex software we have.

This is the point of the thread, isn't it? Why don't we have computers like Amiga now?

I say it is because of such a proliferation of online threats, as well as increasingly complex software (bloatware or otherwise), and higher expectations of operating systems generally in terms of security from external threats and internal accidents. People no longer expect a bug in one program to cause a reboot. People expect their OS to be as robust and secure as people know how to make them. That means sacrificing efficiency, but silicon is cheap and people don't mind making that trade-off.
What you describe here isn't the root cause, but rather a consequence.
Page generated in 0.05667 seconds with 9 queries