View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 15:46   #184
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
A hash table is hardly complicated. Not a good example. The difference in code complexity for string compares VS hash table is quite small.
Ok it's not super-complicated, but it's at least as complicated, since you've got to do a full string comparison anyway to ensure you got a match. Then you've got to deal with hash collisions and rehashing strategies, also choice of hash function.

Weren't Amigas doing that in the '90s with Real3D V3?
*looks this up*

ok, from v2, but it looks like they're doing "CSG" between geometric primitives, like Povray does (also on Amiga!), and during rendering?
For example, a sphere was not defined by a two dimensional surface but a set of points whose distance from the center of the sphere was within the radius of the sphere. In addition of "inserting" new geometric objects into the scene to be simulated, the user could now also use geometric objects to "remove" matter from the virtual universe. The program was finally capable to model complex shapes like this guitar on the left. This hierarchical CSG - Constructive Solid Geometry approach, as it is called these days, is still an essential feature in the software.
i'm talking about booleans between triangle meshes (i.e. boundary surface representation), in real time. If you don't think that is a complex task, you try doing it.

(For whatever reason, computation geometry seems to distinguish boolean operations and CSG these days, at least in the literature i've been reading)
Page generated in 0.05270 seconds with 9 queries