View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 13:41   #179
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Amiga-like is for me something that offers the advantages the Amiga had.
Of course with more horsepower inside.
but more horsepower means more powerful applications will also be developed. These will naturally be more complex. Yes they will! And that doesn't mean bloat!

Allow me to give a specific example... if you have, for instance, some table to look up some strings. If it is only a few strings, you can just scan through the list in a linear way and it won't be too slow. But if you have thousands, tens of thousands of strings... because there is more memory, and more hard disk space, and bigger files that people are creating. The faster CPU can only compensate so much, but it is worth implementing instead some kind of binary search tree - and maybe it would be better if you could make sure it was well-balanced (red black tree, for instance). Or maybe you choose instead some kind of hash map. This makes the code better performing with large sets of data, but it also means more code, and more complex code, which is more difficult to ensure there are no bugs. Especially in tree structures with nodes on the heap.

Sometimes you just want to do something that an old Amiga can't realistically do. Lately i've been implementing boolean operations on 3 dimensional solids. Getting this to run accurately enough in reasonable time involves data structure acrobatics, there are so many different concepts involved. I even had to hand-roll a bignum class. It seems pretty stable now, but i can't be entirely sure some weird combination of shapes won't crash it. It'll get even more complex when i optimise it.

Tens of seconds later it's back. But it was totally unexpected (unlike a crash on the amiga) so you didn't save a few things... and as your computer's memory is completely locked up, you can't even scan it for lost data...
yeah it would be unexpected... it would also be the Kernel's fault, so i'd expect it to get fixed. If it is a user-mode app that is no longer maintained, tough luck.

The scariest crash i've ever made my Amiga do, by the way (while developing in asm), it caused a Guru, and when it reset it came up "Insert volume DH0 in any drive"! And it wouldn't go away on reset, i had to switch off at the mains! I was having kittens at this point, but thankfully no permanent damage was done... but i had to power off for some time, amazingly the fault even survived the first power cycle.

Yup. There WAS an escape sequence. But what i'm asking is something that would work today.
it proves one thing though, that the Amiga's simplicity doesn't guarantee it can't be hacked.

Could be made this way. Could also be located in some config file.
Could as well be a special version of the kernel which i don't give to cowards and ignorants
well you could just install only Level 1 of the Kernel. But that would not be the default install. Or perhaps provided for embedded systems use.

Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
What ? No memory protection ? This should be forbidden
I think the point is, that no-one would market it for general home consumer use, like the Amiga was back in its own day.
Page generated in 0.07381 seconds with 9 queries