View Single Post
Old 01 August 2015, 20:17   #166
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
it's pointless on a PC because each PC has a different metal... but i suppose for something Amiga-like maybe not so pointless. Nevertheless, the idea of any user being able to turn it off, and then still be able to go about their daily internet usage gives me the chills.

If you really want direct hardware access, you CAN write Kernel modules (on Linux), but you seem not to be interested in that.
I'm not interested in accessing the peecee's overly complicated hardware.
This is one of the reasons i wish to have an amiga-like machine.

I do not fear doing my daily internet usage on a system without memory protection. Because i know what it takes to do a takeover.

It is quite inconvenient to have to reboot, while you are in the middle of running other things, just to run one program that requires Kernel mode for 5 seconds.
Sure but the average user will not have to, and the metal-banger runs in this mode permanently

You don't need to lecture me on careful coding... but when you inherited your codebase from someone else, or you're working in a team that includes relative novices, or if you're dealing with APIs that have various strange ways (such as structures that manage the lifetimes of the objects you pass to them, so you can never be sure if a pointer still points to something or not...) it gets difficult.

I'd really like to replace some of our dependencies with home-rolled alternatives but you know, time and budget constraints.
Then advertise your software as "beware, this software crashes often"

But you can blame the programmer all you want, nobody wants a piece of software that they need to use to be able to take out their entire system by accident. However badly programmed it is, for whatever reason, it shouldn't be able to do that.
Many bugs, actually, don't do that. I've seen the choice "suspend/reboot" many more times than i've seen the guru.

You do not need to use badly written software, sorry. There should always be an alternative. And if not, well, they do not crash at the random that much (actually on the pc they do, for a mysterious reason).

Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Maybe someone is interested in an experiment of documented live hacking scenario. If I hadn`t a very bad analog inet connection I would give it a go. About 10 years ago we (me and a linux user) tried that over irc but the hacker couldn`t get access because his amiga os knowledge wasn`t good.
I'm ready for that. When you want.
Page generated in 0.05749 seconds with 9 queries