View Single Post
Old 01 August 2015, 14:04   #142
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
That's basically what we've got... Kernel code runs without memory protection, afterall it has to manage the memory protection for everything else. "User mode" is exactly this kind of sandbox. Now if only you could run code in Kernel mode ad-hoc...
My idea was rather to have a single, isolated "user mode" for a single app.

Quote:
i'm never 100% sure of anything.
Right, the fact you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you

Quote:
I have cookies turned off, with exceptions (obviously Twitter is an exception or it would not work). Scripts are not supposed to be able to access cookies from other sites. If i ever have to enable cookies to get some site to work, i always set it "allow for session" and remove the exception when i'm done. I'm about as careful as i think i can be with cookies. I have no idea how somebody's blog post could find out my Twitter handle.
Perhaps your Twitter handle was easy to guess, or available somewhere you're left it.
Going to Twitter is looking for trouble anyway if you ask me

Quote:
round in circles... you don't know what code is doing, if you didn't write it, or if you haven't read and understood the source code. you have to trust it.
Ok but a site isn't directly running code on your machine. Some machine code has to sneak in, and that's not easy - and does not depend on memory protection at all.

Quote:
Memory protection is not online security. It is offline security. If something does get through the firewalls &c, then it has another challenge ahead of it.
What protection do you have in your home, knowing that someone might lockpick your keyhole and enter ?
Why not having in real life what we have in computers ?

Quote:
because it was written for idiots, by idiots. yeah, some of the things i have come up against make me suspect that a lot of their code is very bad.
Even though it was written for idiots, contrary to popular belief it has not been written by idiots.
Ok, some parts are real stupid, because driven by stupid marketing needs. But nevertheless, the miracle with it, is that it can work at all, and this, my friend, requires real good programmers.

Page generated in 0.09305 seconds with 9 queries