View Single Post
Old 01 August 2015, 13:51   #140
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Well, I could steal your data, keyfiles and whatever else you got that may be of interest.
No, you could not. Too bad my A1200 no longer works. An online appointment with you trying to hack me would have been FUN.
Besides, you did not answer the question of "what would you do exactly" - which could be rephrased as "how would you do that" (but i don't expect a precise reply either).

Quote:
Oh yeah? Also when you are using torrent software, with random disk access and network connections anyways? Also when snatching keyfiles that are so tiny that there is hardly any activity? Also when some weirdo on IRC is busy trolling you intensly?
I'm not using torrent software. Also you can not snatch any keyfile off me without scanning my dirs - and this doesn't go inconspicuous.
About IRC, i can perhaps type something starting with "/kick"

Quote:
Really. Do you browse web much? Javascript? And again, that darn tcp: device, that lets amigaos execute scripts from tcp:host/port, all you need is an exploit of some sort, any sort.
All you need is an exploit of some sort. Unfortunately it's everywhere the case. And you're not gonna get it.

Quote:
Yeah, but maybe I added something funny to your datatypes, to your devs:monitors, to your wbstartup, your SetPatch... or just about anywhere, anything is up for grabs on AmigaOS, unlike on systems with proper security models, sandboxing etc that memory protection makes possible.
You can sandbox on the Amiga as well.

Quote:
Allright then, presume I give you remote login to my Linux box, how will you steal my files, fuck up my setup, and hose up the operating system? Hang around waiting for a 0day local root exploit?
I could type "su" then guess your "1234" (or your birthdate) root password and type "rm -rf /". Might not work on yourself but might work on many people, and memory protection won't help.
On the other hand, no remote login at all available on my A1200.

Quote:
Remember that all those spam senders are located behind firewalls too.
Not all of them. But all have memory protection.

Quote:
Security through obscurity? Is that your business model?
Are you gonna buy tanks to protect your home ? If not, why ?

Quote:
It complicates the OS. It presents users to strange choices. Some software may only work with, other software without - what if you want to run both? How do you intend to implement the option anyways? Are you the kind of person who only run as Administrator user on Windows, or only as uid 0 user on *ix? Exactly what is it about memory protection that you are against?
What is about memory protection that i'm against ? Simple : it can not be disabled.

But, good boy, i'm not saying YOU have to live without, ok ?
So what is about memory protection that you don't even want the possibility of it being facultative ? I'm not forcing you to disable it, ok ?

Page generated in 0.07368 seconds with 9 queries