View Single Post
Old 01 August 2015, 12:19   #135
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
ah but do you know what everybody else is doing?
I don't need to know. But the machine i want is for intelligent people, not for people who don't know themselves what they do (this is why it interests so few people ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i know you said you'd notice unusual activity straight away and disconnect... but it occurred to me to ask... do you never go to the toilet?
I usually don't go to the toilet when online, especially when on suspect sites. That said, it's only a few minutes away, not whole days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I totally agree with this, and memory protection just makes it more difficult to observe the system. Instead there should be more focus on tools to detect system changes rather than protecting the users from themselves.
How odd, someone who agrees with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
The reason is that modern operating systems are designed to allow "credible software" to do anything while obfuscating it from the user. The owner of the device is sandboxed intentionally. Ten years ago people would have laughed at this and used the term "tinfoil hat", these days we know better.
I sure don't want a system that's obfuscated from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Perhaps, but wouldn't things that fail hard and fast be detected by memory protection? In addition, things that fail silently aren't ever detected at all without memory protection until it's too late. With protection it may be detected when you're working on it.

Memory protection seems to be a very useful development tool to me.
I never said that memory protection wasn't useful as a development tool, actually quite the opposite.
What i'm saying is that we should have the freedom to enable or disable it at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Of course, although you can add things directly in the editor and assign code to them. Obviously this isn't always enough. One example is randomly spawning new monsters in a game world.

You have to add a RawImage GUI control to the scene in the editor, and add a few lines of code to load the image, set the size of the RawImage control and assign the image to the control. Ten lines or so.

Or you could make a plane with a material in the editor and add some code to it to set a texture. Also just a few lines. You could also use 2D mode and make a sprite out of the image. Never tried that, but undoubtedly only a few lines as well.
So you have an editor to do things graphically and not only code, right ?

Page generated in 0.11941 seconds with 9 queries