View Single Post
Old 31 July 2015, 15:15   #114
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Ok. Mine is that memory protection is a very good idea and i see no legitimate reason to turn it off, ever.
Then leave it on, no problem. You can. The fact I myself have it turned off shouldn't be a problem for you at all.

Maybe there is a case for games to be able to gain complete control over the screen and the audio hardware. But we could discuss that. I see no reason to go over the operating system's head to do file operations or reserve memory.
Let's say you're writing some low-level data recovery software, and the operating system doesn't provide any relevant API for that purpose. You're then quite happy that you can circumvent this by short-circuiting the OS.

In addition, the fact AmigaOS is so open for hacking, is one big reason why it has survived for so long. For any other system, when support is over, then you're dead.

Let's imagine a scenario.

Supposing someone were to download a popular multi-player game. They want to play the game because it is a really good game, and all their friends are playing it online. Of course, it has network access. But it turns out the game has a bug which is exploitable in some way that nobody imagined at the time of writing, but it allows someone to hack their own copy of the game in order to send malicious code to other players. You did not write this game, in asm or otherwise.

There is no memory protection. What can this malicious code do, and what can't it do, and why?
This malicious code can do anything... just like if there were memory protection. At least in an unprotected system i can run my low-level debugger and have a check on the malicious code, try altering the exe in memory to perform tests, and so on. There is no program in which i cannot enter.
Page generated in 0.05577 seconds with 9 queries