View Single Post
Old 30 July 2015, 23:58   #96
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
The OS doesn't have to guarantee anything at all. We're talking about personal computers, not servers.
of course they have to guarantee internal consistency of the kernel, or behaviour becomes completely unpredictable. It is not safe to continue using such a system.

IMO to hack an Amiga you must have a physical access to it. Merely connecting it with an IP address doesn't make it vulnerable - what kind of attack would work ?
i'm no hacking expert, but i really don't know how you can be so sure. i am not so sure. but if someone did get in, they could do anything.
EDIT: well here is something i could try:

And even, any such attack wouldn't go unnoticed and have minimal impact. I see abnormal network access ? Well, i disconnect MiamiDx and your attempt to remotely control my Miggy just fails.
too bad they already quickformatted your hard disk.

So more simple = more secure. And they are not that limited.
Btw. many cartridges have non-volatile storage (for saved games). This doesn't make the console vulnerable.
Sure, i have a rock on my desk and i bet you can't hack it to fall upwards instead of down. The argument gets really silly here. What, exactly, could you possibly gain by hacking someone else's NES?

This is where we don't agree
There is nothing natural for projects to be real big.
Computer programs do more things than they used to, all that extra memory and CPU power isn't just pointless you know, they didn't bother with advancing technology just to waste it all. New features have been invented and people want to be able to use them!

So what i said is the biggest security problem is what touches both the chair and the keyboard, i.e. the user.
that's the final frontier of security, and something that's not easy to do anything about, but if your computer has NO security, all it means is the smart user just doesn't trust their computer enough to do so many of the things we now take for granted. No buying things on Amazon, no posting to Facebook...

What is sure is that nothing is foolproof. So i prefer something open, where i can do whatever i want.
this is like the argument of the smoker who reasons that people sometimes get cancer anyway so they might as well smoke a pack a day...

You can't write to $4 with a buffer overflow attack (you could JUMP to $4, which is pointless, however).
you could jump to various exec library functions... anyway there are more attacks than just buffer overflow. That is a very old and basic exploit.

Note that this kind of attack normally won't affect an ASM program because the asm programmer is (or should be ) smart enough to avoid putting large structures in the stack. Try such attacks on whichever program of mine if you don't believe me.
Great! as long as your own programs are well written, it doesn't matter if you run anything else that was written in C by somebody else... i feel like we're going round in circles...

This is more or less what we have already.
No. the Amiga has NO memory protection already. ok it has a flat memory model without remapping but it doesn't protect one process's memory from any other's, or the OS from anybody.

I'll add that this dependency isn't necessary a good thing ; why, they even want to make all games depend on it.
well i'm sceptical of that as well, but if they have any network access for any game at any time, they'll want a security model.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 31 July 2015 at 00:05.
Page generated in 0.05999 seconds with 9 queries