View Single Post
Old 30 July 2015, 13:31   #88
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
So basically you're against Windows... join the club!
I'm against Windows, right, but i'm also against Linux, iOs, Android, and many others.
The hardware architecture is also important (i'm against x86, arm, and many others).
Right, i know, i'm against many things

Microsoft didn't want anyone running unsigned code. Preventing hackers from doing things you don't want them to do is "security". They succeeded admirably in a technical sense, maybe not so much in a business or ethical sense.
Ok, but my question was more : what's the danger for the end user, which would require security stuff in a home game console ? (apart a secure connection to pay things)

I never mentioned that. Any program can have bugs, the bigger the project the more bugs it will have, and they won't all be known. I have fixed so many null, uninitialised or dangling pointer bugs, they are the most common and can do real damage to a system with no memory protection. If you are designing a modern system for modern needs it really is a must.
Protection for debug purposes is something different compared to forcing everyone to run in a locked system with no choice.
My A1200 ran Enforcer quite a few times, and this alone catches many null, unitialised or dangling pointers. This is not a reason to forbid these accesses permanently - and thus destroy the programmer's freedom.

i've gone into loads of detail with specific examples... not good enough? can't be bothered. do your own research.
My own research is already done, thanks. And in none of your examples did i see anything worth keeping the programmer out of control of his own machine.

Exactly what i said! And that's the problem, not "security". Something "amiga-like" would have a single, well documented spec.
Does this mean that (according to you) a single, well documented spec would be a problem ?
Page generated in 0.05886 seconds with 9 queries