View Single Post
Old 29 July 2015, 11:01   #76
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I do know what you mean, often Windows gets itself stuck and you can't perform the operation you need to do because a file is locked even after you stop all processes, and the only way to fix it is to reboot, which is particularly annoying if it's your continuous integration server...
Rebooting did not fix a thing. Only changing the files owner and rights did. Yikes !

Quote:
There has to be a balance somewhere. You can't do these days with no security at all. Windows has become the victim of its own success (try turning off all your security options and see how long it takes before your PC is full of malware). On Amiga we enjoy security by obscurity, although back in the day i did get a few viruses. But there is only so much damage they can do if all your data is on floppies. That's physical security...
On the Amiga you notice unusual activity quite quickly and can get rid of any virus as quickly. Back in '97 VirusZ took 5 mins to clean up my HD of Ebola 2. In 2006 i got some malware on the peecee at work - took a whole week of blind fight to finally be able to get rid of it (antiviruses saw it, said they removed it, but it was still there).

Honestly i felt a lot more secure with MiamiDx, IBrowse and Yam.

Quote:
because you said you wanted complete control over your machine.. well if you run someone else's software, you don't. you don't know what bugs are in programs that you run, or if they have been compromised in some way.
Some programs can be trusted. When you get something off Aminet, usually you're not so much at risk.
However if you run every dirt you get your hands on, sorry, but you deserve the malware

And in the unlikely event the machine finally gets some dirt, it's incredibly easy to remove it.

Quote:
And if you use the network, someone halfway round the world can take control of your computer.
Huh, no, nobody can (at least not the miggy).

Quote:
security for the sake of business, yes. i won't defend Microsoft's decision to lock down the XBox360 so hard, but the point here is that good security is possible, with a new system designed around it.
But, on a console, it's security against what ?

Quote:
until you legitimately download someone's PD game and it compromises your system when you run it.
This occurs as well on so-called secure machines, and guess what ? They get compromised even more.

The chair-to-keyboard interface is the most unsecure part of any system

Quote:
"The customer should want the product i want to make" is surely not a recipe for success, unless you are already Apple.
It's rather about giving back customers something that has stupidly disappeared from the market.

Page generated in 0.08903 seconds with 9 queries