View Single Post
Old 28 July 2015, 13:13   #69
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
it's more secure than no security at all. wish i'd installed updates more frequently on our old server when it got hacked.

There are good and bad ways of doing it, of course, and it's like sticking a finger in a crumbling dyke sometimes on these legacy systems. i'm all for simplicity.
Simplicity brings in more security than any security update.
Besides, no security at all isn't necessarily worse. Securities can sometimes be returned against the user, like an enemy controlling a fortress which you can't take back easily (and so you regret having built that fortress in first place).

So you will never run anybody else's software, or use the network? Well, ok, but i don't think that would be a popular use case for a new product.
Of course i run someone else's software and use the network, how did you come to the conclusion i didn't ?

XBox 360 is VERY secure. look it up. They do it to prevent piracy, and stop people installing Linux or any sort of homebrew to that end, over the top in my opinion, but it's very competently done, and they can do that because they have complete control over the hardware configuration, which they designed from the ground up with security in mind.
This sounds more about business (i.e. big money) than security...

Consoles now are connected to online user accounts where you can spend real money, so security is certainly an issue there.
Yup, but it's only the connection to the outside that must be secure.
Page generated in 0.10825 seconds with 9 queries