View Single Post
Old 28 July 2015, 12:40   #67
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
One great big word!

Security ? Sorry, but i see no security in attempting to lock everything. Early control by the os has never prevented any attack.

Damned ntfs on w$ 8.1 refusing to delete files of an old, long uninstalled app is annoyance, not security.

Same for seeing a task named "System" suddenly starting to eat cpu without a warning (even if it's officially supposed to be some kind of system maintenance).

A system that's so complicated that nobody knows much about it, is everything but secure.

Systems and programs getting a security patch, then another, and again, every time a hole is discovered, you call THAT secure ?

If you have total control over the machine, you can write anywhere on the hard disk, access network, steal files, steal passwords... or just nuke everything by mistake.
Ok but i know what i'm doing so i won't do all these.

Sure, i can write anywhere on the hard disk, access just about everything. But it's only ME. Not remote people, nor the system itself.
If my A1200 shows some hard disk activity, or network activity, i know immediately if it's normal or not.
On a PC this is simply impossible. Apps connect regardless if you want it or not. Even the OS constantly hits the disk and you can't tell why.

If i don't have the control then someone else has it and it's BAD.
I prefer nuking my computer myself than letting a rootkit do it

Security on MY computer is ME having full control.

Oh, btw. Spam is sent by computers on which the user has no control, isn't it ?

It's not just PCs, look at how well locked-down the Xbox 360 is. PS3 less so but programming is still done through APIs.
And ? What are the threats on game consoles ?
Anyway, old SNES and Megadrive are not less secure than xbox 360 and ps3, are they ?
Page generated in 0.07549 seconds with 9 queries