View Single Post
Old 26 July 2015, 13:37   #32
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i have encountered this, it's not that they don't care that the code is slow, it's more that they don't seem to have any concept of just how much computing power even a mobile device has these days. i was on a project a couple of years ago, and the client was complaining that something was getting very slow, the original programmer just said "well, that's just how it is, it's only a tablet" or words to that effect...

so the boss put me on that case, and i don't like to blow my own trumpet but, it's fast now.
Once again - i think they don't care as they have no reference - I enjoy this example [ Show youtube player ] - this shows what im talking about - modern developers (even those with closely undescribed PhD) lost knowledge about simple yet efficient and useful algorithms...

Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
people don't understand how much power computers have these days. they also don't understand algorithmic complexity, and how it matters *more* as computers get better, not less. as the size of data sets increases roughly in proportion to the size of the memory. if the CPU speed doubles, and the memory size doubles, and the dataset doubles, your algorithm had better be O(n log n) at worst or you're in trouble matey.

i have worked for a well-known manufacturer of FPGAs and the attitude there wasn't any better.
Yes, complexity growing but not wisely - it unwise, spaghetti chaotic style of growing code - there is no pressure on efficiency and that's why smartphones need to be recharged at least once per 12hr...
Most of things you listed (security, networking etc) existed (albeit slightly different way) even in late 70's.
How this possible that over 100 people providing less efficient code than 10 people even in case that they providing code for HW whic is somwhere between 8 - 12 times faster...?
Page generated in 0.13938 seconds with 9 queries