View Single Post
Old 25 July 2015, 08:00   #17

Your Raspberry Pi can do all the things you want it to, the thing is someone has to do it. Why not try yourself? Here's another difference with back then. It was then more common for people sit down and learn to code to get the machine to do what they wanted instead of waiting for someone miraculously dropping onto their laps their wished application, OS or game.
Agree; but I can't re-write a kernel Keep this in mind: 10 or 20 years ago, you could learn a technology and benefit from it, for years to come; I myself learned assembly on the 68K to write software with ASM; in that case it was logical because the alternative was the Intel family; which was not really that hot.

In 85, if you would spend 3 years to learn assembly, you could use it for another 5 years or more; but nowadays you learn a language that is agnostic of the processor on which it runs, optimizations are made by the compiler programmers; while you lay back and write what makes sense to you. And worst of all; you learn something that get obsolete pretty quickly (beside C, which is still around in its various idioms); because you do not have 3 years to learn something and then hope to use it. Which is why, people hope that something will fly in their lap...the time is what it is; if we would live forever and there was a new processor every 2-3 years, and a new computer innovation every few years; then it would be different

K, I get you, you're trying to recapture the 'new and exciting' aspect of computing. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen.

To another poster's point, you're talking about an era where *everything* about technology was new and exciting - a constant barrage of new (and wildly incompatible) technology with insufficient documentation and little to no previous knowledge to draw was truly the "Wild West" of computing, and as a result it was simultaneously thrilling and frustrating.
Yes and no....what i do not miss of those dark times, were the lack of collaboration; you were on your own; and if you were lucky, you had a good library with enough books to keep you going.

But today is different; I miss that part of technology where people were into a product, not into a continuous race for a faster iterated product.
Look at what we have today: phones are smart, but fundamentally are old pc miniaturized, hooked up to a network without wires. Tablets are mostly the same as the phones; home computers has the same old architecture, beside that now we have a powerhouse as graphic card, which has billions of TFlops, which we use games

Where is the innovation? Where is the art of getting the most out of what you have? Amiga as computer was revolutionary, because allowed people to do something that was not meant to be done on a computer; and today I wish that someone would risk something to get to the next level; where we can get all excited again for a new technology to learn, that will be around for a long time (where long is a relative amount of time between few years and a decade). Today we sit and consume, before you were the center of the universe; and this is why you see this crazy love that exploded for micro controllers and makers of electronic stuff.

In today's world if some software runs too slow, they tell you upgrade your hardware or buy a new computer. Back then you had to squeeze performance from your PC by optimizing your code.
Exactly; give today to a genius, a fixed hardware device, tell em to write an os for it; and look at what kind of hell you stir up
Page generated in 0.05791 seconds with 9 queries