View Single Post
Old 24 July 2015, 17:30   #7
OK, I get you, you're trying to recapture the 'new and exciting' aspect of computing. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen.

To another poster's point, you're talking about an era where *everything* about technology was new and exciting - a constant barrage of new (and wildly incompatible) technology with insufficient documentation and little to no previous knowledge to draw was truly the "Wild West" of computing, and as a result it was simultaneously thrilling and frustrating.

Today, necessity of standardization has resulted in a thinning out of diversity and a shift from revolution to evolution. In my personal opinion, BeOS was the last shot the technical community had at something "new and exciting", but because it wouldn't run applications that people are accustomed to in their daily lives (since computing is now so pervasive, as also previously noted), it received very tepid response from all but the most hardcore technologists and died an unfortunate but entirely expected death of marketplace ignorance.

The short version: There will never be another Amiga, nor will there be that wave of excitement and passion that stirred the computing revolution as a whole - it has matured to a point of being a part of everyday existence, much like the automobile and airplanes were once fantastic, amazing, and nearly magical devices that are now taken for granted on a daily basis.

There will, no doubt, be some technological advance that is breakthrough enough to make people sit up and take notice, but if it involves computing, it will do so only peripherally.

Just my $0.02.

Page generated in 0.05152 seconds with 9 queries