View Single Post
Old 08 July 2015, 20:59   #245
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
So stuck in the old ways that it is painfull to read.

No open source would pretty much mean we would not have Internet. This very forum is based on open source software. The operating system running the server is open source. The network components between you and this site is mostly based on open source. And if you are reading this on an Apple device, then good greef - you are using a product being sold with and running open source.

As system engineer, closed source solutions are in general to be avoided, as interoperability is extremely important today - I happily pay multiple as much for open source products than for closed source products, simply because all experience tells me open source solutions are way more flexible in the long run. As a "customer" using open source, I can take over "ownership" of software I use, and if necessary hire resources to update the software for me. With closed source that is not an option. Closed source software with security issues? Tough luck. Closed source software lacking backend support for my choice of backend protocols? Tough luck. Closed source software not supporting IPv6? Forget it.
Yeah, open source is fine for small interoperable utilities, drivers, and libraries. The bare bones, the things that takes you up from no system at all, the things you can't do without. There would be a motivation to release your work as open source for a larger project, such as an OS. Perhaps you would even be an appreciated key member of a team with even larger goals. You'd be one of the guys that laid the foundation.

As for things you can do without, things are different. You want it, not because it's vital, but because it's good. You have nothing to offer in return, but just ask to hand it over after it's been available to buy or perhaps even available to run freely.

I think those are two different things that are not to be confused, and bringing up things like drivers, libs etc from big projects that were open-source from the start is not relevant, or at least only relevant to such drivers, libs, etc that were in an open-source project from the start.

I think the only problem is the "we want this and this and this open source". I think that if you want the source, the job is yours to pick one "this" and convince the author to release it to you. I think many will, if you just tell them what it's for.

There is no "authors should" regarding their sources. The sources are the result of actual work and not some abstract substance to be assimilated into an impersonal, featureless information age Nirvana-fog.

Last edited by Photon; 08 July 2015 at 21:06.
Page generated in 0.04575 seconds with 9 queries