View Single Post
Old 26 June 2015, 08:02   #18
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Ah, I see. If we had a good ssh client, I'd be using my Amiga 24/7.
AmTelnet is a pretty good SSH client, I did use it for years. Unfortunately it only suppots SSH1, but if you can live with that, then it's very ok

Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Ah, well you won't be doing much with big files if you haven't got your machine expanded. Not being able to run IBrowse means your machine is pretty limited, and working with large images and audio files is probably going to be tricky too.
Although some programs provide their own swapfiles to get around the memory limitations, like ArtEffect for example. It won't be fast on unexpanded machine, but still.

And then there are some virtual memory hacks for general use too.. VMem and GigaMem etc. If you're really desperate

Documents are the single biggest issue for me too. I wrote my thesis on my Amiga back in the day (2003!), exported it as RTF and did the final formatting in Word. It worked for the text, but all the images had to be re-inserted.
It depends hugely if you have to provide original document as a file, or is it enough to provide printed version to others. When you only need printed papers, Amiga's office programs are quite enough for the most cases. I remember even having some equation expansion for FinalWriter use to have all the mathematical symbols and formatting etc...
Page generated in 0.06430 seconds with 9 queries