View Single Post
Old 15 June 2015, 09:05   #5
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodman View Post
I know this sounds dumb but the Amiga scene was really built on WB1.3 to 3.1.
I have no understanding of what an Amiga after this is? Is Amiga 4 a free OS? There is no discussion about any of this.
If you were a gamer, you probably have no interest beyond 3.1. But if you were using your "classic" 3.1 (or 3.5, or 3.9) Amiga as far as you could in daily use (by expanding it to 060, graphics cards, sound cards, networking, USB etc), next generation systems (OS4, MorphOS, or even AROS) are a very logical step forward. Target of these next generation systems are the former "high end" Amiga users.

The next generation systems allow you to replace your aging pathced up hacky expansion piles with newer hardware with built-in features with no caps leaking problems etc. They also offer much more speed in every respect (you can do more modern browsing, watch movies etc), updated OS features, and just let you enjoy your Amiga hobby even further for years to come.

I, for example, did use my A1200/3.9/Magellan2/060/128MB/100GB/Voodoo3/DelfinaLite/100Mbps/USB/TV-card/etc machine as my main daily machine up to 2004, and then got it cheaply replaced with Pegasos and MorphOS, and I could continue using my beloved 68k software from my Amiga installation but with much newer, faster, and more reliable system. I'm still using MorphOS as daily machine but with even newer and faster hardware, and even with laptops. I don't believe I would be an Amiga user anymore if this wouldn't have happened. I'd have been forced to start using some other system which I'd dislike, and probably just having few games on real Amigas occasionally.

Quote:
Software. There is no beyond Amiga 3.1 Fred Fish collection is there?
Of course there is, that's just plain wrong claim. Aminet became the world's largest software collection (when comparing to any platform) in late 90s. Most of the big companies made their last big versions of their programs in late 90s too. Internet really took off on Amiga late 90s too, and Amiga got lots of nice internet software for any use. MUI allowed much more configureable GUIs and was easy for programmers, that brought all kinds of stuff. These were all later than oldskool Fish collections.

Amiga was very lively after the Commodore too, and I'd say that best years ever were around 1997-2000 when you got lots of high end software, great expansions, even new OS updates. Internet really united Amiga users for a while. Only gaming was in bad shape, although you started to get some games which take advantage of the new expansions.

Classic Amiga software dried up pretty much in 2005 or so, but with next generation machines you still get new software which go beyond the classic capability.

Quote:
It's like the BEOS who remembers it.
I don't know much about BEOS apart for few news and one quick try, but as far as I understand, there isn't such massive legacy software collection for BEOS to support the newer developments, like the Amiga has.

OS4 and MorphOS both run the old system friendly Amiga software like natively (they have 68k CPU emulation and their native API is Amiga compatible), and you can build up your systems with mixed 68k and native binaries. That has helped the situation a lot, because you don't need to have native applications for every use from the start.

Maybe AROS (x86) has been more like BEOS then, because it's not binary compatible with the classic Amiga. Software situation on it has thus been a lot worse, and that has affected gaining the user base too.

Page generated in 0.05360 seconds with 9 queries