View Single Post
Old 24 May 2015, 18:03   #146

Originally Posted by Ikilledher View Post
Okay, I admit. I have been lurking for two weeks. I like this thread. I started out confused by the term ‘homebrew’: I always thought homebrew described creating software for systems that were not meant to be explored by consumers, e.g. SNES or Atari 2600. Commodore 64 and Amiga, I think, would not classify because all information on creating for these systems is readily available, and it has been for a very long time. These computers are almost literally shouting “make stuff with me!”
It's one of those terms that has changed several times over the years. At one point people would only use it in reference to games they'd burnt to EPROM and painstakingly hand etched a PCB for over the stove, but the earliest use of the word i'm aware of is the Homebrew Computer Club, the software they wrote was considered homebrew as well so the C64, Amiga and other platforms fit under that version of the umbrella.

As someone who has been writing about "homebrew" for over a decade and coding it for three, i've never liked the term personally but the only other option is to call ourselves "indie" developers and i'm not sure that fits me either. =-) Also, i feel very old now.
Page generated in 0.08772 seconds with 9 queries