View Single Post
Old 24 May 2015, 01:40   #143

Okay, I admit. I have been lurking for two weeks. I like this thread. I started out confused by the term ‘homebrew’: I always thought homebrew described creating software for systems that were not meant to be explored by consumers, e.g. SNES or Atari 2600. Commodore 64 and Amiga, I think, would not classify because all information on creating for these systems is readily available, and it has been for a very long time. These computers are almost literally shouting “make stuff with me!”

But homebrew, that’s just a word. The thread’s about creating stuff! Throw in some references to (text) adventures and I can’t resist adding to it.

I think there are quite a few people around with certain skills that would enable a modest team to create a brand new Amiga game. Interested people can manage (‘create’) time themselves so let’s say you manage to get them to commit some time in a project. Now here’s your team: a graphician that is all heated up, ready to pixel. An Amiga coder who just walked through his/her old code and sheds a tear (of joy). And musicians… please stop the constant flow of modules. There are not enough musicdisks to hold them all really!

Now what?

The most important part, I think, in the creation of a game is envisioning the game before it exists: a story, an idea, ambience, a character. Draw it, write it, share it. You don’t need any programming experience whatsoever! Your parents can join in, your sister, nephew, brother in law, your kids. Amiga is a family computer after all. YOU can create an idea for a game in an afternoon. Try to be precise: ‘The best vertical shooter ever on Amiga – one that trashes C64’s Hades Nebula’ is not really specific enough.

If you get to a point where you start feeling somewhat excited, you are doing it right. Now bring in the coders, right! No. Make a mock up. Do it yourself. A drawing would be nice. It does not have to be very good. Just use it to explain your idea.

My point is, just suggesting that other people should build a game won’t deliver a new Amiga game in 2017, or 2018… And in the remote case it will, it might be a different game than you expected. On Amiga, people create games for the fun of it.

So… my (somewhat simplistic) conclusion is: make the d#?n game yourself! I mean that in the most positive way. Start creating and make sure to have fun doing so. Share your endeavors so people can get interested and might join in! If you are able to do this together with a few (newfound) friends that would be great but… you can start it yourself! Even sharing your mature ideas for a game IS part of creating a game.

Maybe you even feel the urge to try and build it yourself. The Amiga certainly is no difficult-to-master Commodore 64 (!) or downright hard-to-master homebrew system like the Atari 2600. I agree that learning assembly and some of the inwards of the Amiga can take time and effort but there are quite a few alternatives out there, mentioned in this thread also.

I can recommend a nice little book titled “Rise of the Videogame Zinesters: How Freaks, Normals, Amateurs, Artists, Dreamers, Drop-outs, Queers, Housewives, and People Like You Are Taking Back an Art Form” (978-1609803728) which message I would summarise as: anyone can make games; do it.

I am happy I found an Amiga forum where people are talking about making stuff. That is so Amiga to me.

Last edited by Ikilledher; 24 May 2015 at 01:57.
Page generated in 0.05589 seconds with 9 queries