View Single Post
Old 21 May 2015, 11:44   #125

Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
- Remakes/sequels/conversions with new or original content: There's plenty of room for originality and a fresh experience to the end player here. This is pretty much the case with the C64 Castlevania remake. It's an easier and safer path to take (compared to developing a completely new game concept from scratch) but we've yet to see such an undertaking done successfully on amiga.
I think that Sqrxz (1, 2, 3) falls in this category. It is an SDL-game written in C for Windows and Linux, which was rewritten in 68000 assembler for the A500.

- Team projects: This seems -unfortunately- NOT to be the norm in our days...
The reasons behind those outcomes are many: lack of determination, boredom, real life getting in the way, technical problems, game's scope getting out of hand, disagreements with other members or simply a change in priorities.
Often it is sufficient to kill these projects when only a single team member becomes inactive. So the risk increases with the number of people involved.
As a programmer I must be absolutely sure that I can rely on my team, because I don't want to spend a year of work for nothing. This keeps me away from uncertain "adventures".

- Game concepts begging for support: Every now and then, several game concepts are brought into the public's attention
In most cases you have some game graphics looking for a programmer, but that will hardly ever work. Finding a programmer who likes exactly the concept and game type which is shown is quite unlikely. And even if that would be the case, the graphics are often unusable, because they are drawn without taking the limitation of the hardware in account.
It works best when designing the concept first. The programmer thinks about the technical implementation and defines the constraints for the graphics. Then the artists start drawing.

1) There are dozens of new WIP games that are lurking around in various threads all around EAB. It would help a lot if all those were moved to Game Factory.
Although not everybody wants the public to know about it. But a database about Amiga finished homebrew games could be motivating.

2) A sticky thread or database of people that are willing to work and contribute in game making, their field of expertise or current status would be UBER useful.
Good idea, but I doubt that the information given there is sufficient to select your team (see above).

4) Going crowd funding for an amiga game may sound like a terrible idea but it has some potential.
Depends. With a real job and limited time I wouldn't take the additional pressure imposed by that for no money of the world. Otherwise it might be interesting.

5) Cammy's sticky thread about “amiga game making resources” is a first step towards the right direction. This could be largely expanded to contain not only links to other websites but also tools , examples and various other info regarding amiga game making.
A documentation specifically about Amiga game programming would be nice indeed. I tried to give a bit of help in that direction by releasing the source and all tools of Solid Gold. But a good documentation or tutorial needs a lot of work, probably more than writing the game itself.

Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
I would more than happily code for it as an enthusiast in 2015.. If only I knew what tools to use and where to go for the knowledgebase.
This is great, but do not expect too much from yourself. We have many coders here who know 68000 assembler and every aspect of the Amiga chipset inside out since 25 years or more - and still there are not so many games...
Make sure to keep your first project very, very, very small. A successful mini project gets you the motivation to proceed.
Page generated in 0.11032 seconds with 9 queries