View Single Post
Old 20 May 2015, 12:27   #105

Originally Posted by copse View Post
Do you have any skill in any of these three things? Let's say you had an interest in getting involved in level design and no previous experience, you could get the graphics for a game and put them together into mocked up levels. Let's say you had an interest in graphics, you could make graphics and put them into mocked up levels and encourage a programmer to get on board - I imagine this would be quite popular. I know Uncle Tom recently did something very similar to this, and I download the graphics with an eye to putting them to use and I'd be very surprised if I was the only person. If you had any interest in getting involved in sound effect making, you could make packs of game sound effects for people to pick up and use. Etc. There are lots of opportunities.
Well, I'm a musician (keyboard, guitar, vocals). And I'm into graphic design (posters, business cards, but I wouldn't necessarily do a company logo - I either use a camera or buy stock). I also used to make Choose your own Adventure type books and board games as a kid with custom cards, characters and special dice so level design is a love of mine wrt board games anyway.

I think part of the problem, reflecting on what you're saying, is that classic development doesn't cater to separating out coding and testing, for example. So all the pressure is on the developer?

A potential problem to consider is that if programmers with the time and interest to work on things for the Amiga are rare, then when they do find time and interest, they need to be working on something which keeps them motivated. As much as collaborators can help keep an effort alive, they can also help kill it quickly, or can keep in it a painful limbo of bickering and fighting over whose ideas are used.

Linux is a incredibly large scoped product, with an identifiable purpose, which is used every day by millions and millions of people even if they do not know it. One person makes the final calls, from the top of the pyramid. And a number of the people who contribute at the top level are paid to by commercial companies with an interest in getting changes that benefit them into it.

The internet is littered with projects that started off with lots of developers, and these are projects where the end result is on a mainstream platform, and if you read the forums you see that the involvement of too many people who felt they had a say and endless discussion of whether some approach or other should be taken, contributes to loss of interest and enthusiasm by the few actually doing the work.
Yes, we are in agreement. When I said 'collaboration' and 'participation', in no way did I mean complaining or bickering. A project needs a leader. For example, for the Ubuntu Touch project I report bugs and 'wishlist' items. Sometimes they're accepted and sometimes rejected. I try to make my contributions valuable and complete so that if the devs like what they see they have all the logs, scenarious and mockups necessary.

When I say 'linux', I'm talking about the entire stack so projects like audio players, calendar apps, screen recorders - those kinds of communities. It's easy to submit icons / graphics / audio to those guys if you want because or github is the same across all projects. So because I've contributed to PicSaw a few years ago (a kids game that turns pictures into a kids jigsaw on Ubuntu), I can help out on other projects too - test builds / run in debug mode etc.
Page generated in 0.06102 seconds with 9 queries