View Single Post
Old 20 May 2015, 04:16   #102
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
So to put a proactive spin on this, if time and resources (developers skilled at low-level amiga development as well as non-code contributions) are the main deterministic problems, would a way to centralise these developments so contributors can get involved more easily help?
I say efforts are already centralised on this forum to a sufficient degree and that the problem isn't lack of centralisation, it's lack on time and interest.

Personally, I've never heard of many of the games being developed and I'm hanging out here and on Google Plus or the IRC. I don't think I can learn a new syntax - even Java didn't come to me easily. But I would love to get involved in the aforementioned level-design, graphics and sound.
Do you have any skill in any of these three things? Let's say you had an interest in getting involved in level design and no previous experience, you could get the graphics for a game and put them together into mocked up levels. Let's say you had an interest in graphics, you could make graphics and put them into mocked up levels and encourage a programmer to get on board - I imagine this would be quite popular. I know Uncle Tom recently did something very similar to this, and I download the graphics with an eye to putting them to use and I'd be very surprised if I was the only person. If you had any interest in getting involved in sound effect making, you could make packs of game sound effects for people to pick up and use. Etc. There are lots of opportunities.

A potential problem to consider is that if programmers with the time and interest to work on things for the Amiga are rare, then when they do find time and interest, they need to be working on something which keeps them motivated. As much as collaborators can help keep an effort alive, they can also help kill it quickly, or can keep in it a painful limbo of bickering and fighting over whose ideas are used.

If frameworks are costly in terms of 'cycles' then maybe a testing framework or some way for beta testers to help give poignant feedback to devs to save them time pouring through code? Maybe running betas with debug logging? I don't know. I just think that in the years of using linux I think that collaboration, participation and tooling (not necessarily open source) is what makes projects live or die.
Linux is a incredibly large scoped product, with an identifiable purpose, which is used every day by millions and millions of people even if they do not know it. One person makes the final calls, from the top of the pyramid. And a number of the people who contribute at the top level are paid to by commercial companies with an interest in getting changes that benefit them into it.

The internet is littered with projects that started off with lots of developers, and these are projects where the end result is on a mainstream platform, and if you read the forums you see that the involvement of too many people who felt they had a say and endless discussion of whether some approach or other should be taken, contributes to loss of interest and enthusiasm by the few actually doing the work.
Page generated in 0.06674 seconds with 9 queries