View Single Post
Old 10 May 2015, 16:42   #39
Graham Humphrey
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Oh dear... sorry, i'm completely crap with Facebook, point me in the right direction and i'll put it on the "to do" list for issue 144. Actually... fancy doing a Making Of? =-)
No problem. To be honest, as it was months ago I should have shown a bit of initiative and contacted you via other means. You can check our website at

It's a demo of the full Maxwell game we are working on, although it's been done as a small game in its own right (i.e. it's totally self-contained and the level on show won't be in the full game). If you want to talk to me and Chris (and Predseda!) about it please feel free, it would be great to have that coverage
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Hmm, are you sure we are following the same ZX Spectrum scene? The C64 has great new Demos which constantly show innovation and new effects, things that were thought not possible just a few years before, ZX Spectrum doesn't have any demos scene, at least nothing worth mentioning. C64 gets quite a few new games each year, a lot of those games are of great quality and again show something new and exciting, ZX Spectrum on the other hand gets maybe one quality game every few years but it does get a lot of games created with some of the "game maker" tools which look like copies of each other and don't give you anything new or exciting.

The C64 scene is BY FAR the best retro computer scene currently... there is no other 8 or 16 bit computer/console that comes even close... it is just great. In some respects it is better than back in the hayday of c64.
I totally disagree with this (well, the Spectrum comments anyway). I follow new releases for both machines very closely (I own both computers) and I have been extremely impressed with the standard of new Spectrum games (I can't comment on demos as I don't watch them; they don't interest me at all).

Over the course of 2014 and 2015 so far we have had:

Dream Walker: Alter Ego 2
Ninja Twins: Going To Zedinaks
Metal Man Reloaded
Sector: Invasion
Kyd Cadet 3
Bomb Munchies
Cousin Horace
Sir Ababol 2
Captain Drexx
Balachor's Revenge
Wanderer: Chained In The Dark
El Stompo
Willy The Wasp 1 & 2
A Game About Squares
Page's Castle Quest
Castlevania: Spectral Interlude
Pets vs Aliens Prologue
The Tales Of Grupp
Ice Slider Z
Pentacorn Quest
Vade Retro
A Prelude To Chaos
Rescue Lander
Page And The Curse Of The Pharaoh

...and some more I have probably missed. Yes, some of these were made in 'Game Maker' programs like Arcade Game Designer (most aren't) but ultimately if they're good it doesn't matter. The standard, as a whole, is significantly better than you give it credit for and certainly better than the Amiga. The C64 has been great too of course.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 10 May 2015 at 16:56.
Page generated in 0.05800 seconds with 9 queries