View Single Post
Old 09 May 2015, 17:35   #11

Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Since everyone else's dumb answers are here, mine is: Not enough open source :-)
i know it was just a cheap excuse to wedge the open source thing in but, like Britelite says, the C64 scene is doing what it does with very little in the way of open source and the same is true for most of the other platforms too so there's very little open source development on the Spectrum, Atari 8-bit or anything else for that matter. Not having some open source examples to pick through isn't a hinderance and the lack of it doesn't stop people now like it didn't back in the 1980s or 1990s.

Here comes the "speech" i always give during these discussions: if you guys really want more releases for the Amiga then there's one guaranteed way to see those arriving; pick up the tools, sit down and get involved with making things that you want to see. If you don't have the skills but the Amiga is truly important to you, that should be more than enough reason to learn what's needed. Time is an issue of course, but that's a constant for everybody and people like Galahad, Britelite or any other developer whose work you admire also have to balance coding time against work and family/social time so it can be done. If you don't know where to even start just ask people who are already doing what you want to, then pick a simple project and just feckin' go for it.

Don't feel confident with diving straight in at assembly language? Fine, just consider high level languages like AMOS, Blitz or whatever you feel comfortable with. Can't draw or compose for toffee? No problem again, build "test data" like triangles for spaceships or stick men, borrow some modules and samples but get something working because you can always reach out to the community for a graphics artist or musician later when there's something moving to entice them to your project. And don't overstretch yourself by trying to do the next [insert huge game title here], aim for something simple but fun and try to set realistic goals.

i rarely offer myself as a positive example of anything but i've just finished a C64 project that has taken me about three years and is based on a couple of games that i loved as a kid. It looks like this:

Why is it C64 and not Amiga? Because i'm primarily an 8-bit bunny, those platforms are where my interests lie so that's what i develop for.

So to sum up with a TL;DR version: at least some of the people who can really make a difference by producing the Amiga games, tools or demos of the future are the ones reading this post. Okay, rant over. =-)
Page generated in 0.08619 seconds with 9 queries