View Single Post
Old 25 April 2015, 17:26   #156
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Hi guys,

It's amazing to see that even in 2015, our hobbyist computer still receives so many new developments. These efforts are no doubt highly appreciated by everyone, but I think we can do even better. This post is being made to encourage everyone to start thinking, ironically, about future users, and future developers.

Sakura here, is leading the way:

Transparency. The benefits are clear: If you open your code (and designs, in Sakura's case) up, you allow more people to participate in it. You may grow tired of your project, but others may continue deriving benefit from it. Is what you really want for everyone to start again from scratch, to painstakingly reverse engineer what you've already achieved? Attribution doesn't go away with Git repositories, you know. :-)

I cannot imagine any reason in 2015, why most new Amiga (or retrocomputer generally) apps should not include source. Most likely you aren't making any money from this stuff. Why not allow newcomers and existing enthusiasts alike to learn from your work, and for existing users to continue improving it? As much as I'm speaking to individual app developers, I'm also looking at you Hyperion, A-EON, AmigaKit, Elbox, MorphOS team, etc. It isn't the 1990s anymore.

Again, much love and respect for your work. But let's make what's left of Amiga land all about educating and sharing, as much as it continues to be about impressing the living hell out of one another. :-)
Most have pet projects and do it precisely to be regarded as helping the community with quality products that they make in their spare time. That's why any prices are relatively low, they already have a job.

Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
A great idea but most Amiga software developers are too selfish to do it. Not only are their projects closed-source but they ask for money for them as well. Some things never change.
Yes, imagine being so selfish as to want a little money for spending your spare time working!

You could justify your "we want everything you've done for free!" with "it's for the good of the community!", but the dev's choice and reasons can't be questioned. Because he did the work to solve a need.

Needing X and refusing to pay for X with the motivation that you lack the time or competence to make X doesn't give you the right to put some sort of blame on the one who did.

I think we're doing all right. In the case of abandonware the design/sources end up in the usual places, and if the developer is still active you can contact him and ask for the source.

If you want some things off the top of my head that could improve things, we could:

1) Develop versions of the things you feel the community needs that cost money, and release them as open source ourselves. For some of them, it might entail legal issues.

2) Make a portal site where devs upload sources and a team goes through them, prep and document them, and put them up on an open-source site, similar to what is already done for f.ex. demos and utilities on Janeway and Aminet.

3) Do Kickstarters or make microdonations sites for active developers to use. This would mean that things are worth something to everyone involved, i.e. cost a little money. But I think it would lead to new developments that accurately represent what users need. I think this is the progressive solution.

These are very abstract and generic suggestions, like the question. I think it would be more constructive and lead to results if we got down to cases. That's what happens automatically with 3) above.
Page generated in 0.04593 seconds with 9 queries