View Single Post
Old 24 April 2015, 08:17   #49
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I think the daughter board uses a 75MHz 060, but I guess that people don't understand that the FPGA's 020 core is much faster than the real 060 daughter board setup.
So I go with a fast 020, from what I understand I would be unable to run 060 demos or games? I'm not worried if it's a real 060 or not, I just want to be able to run 060 software.

I don't know about other ppl but 95% of the demos and games I want to run need an 060. WHDLoad is another story though. So the only option to get 100% compatibility would be to have either 060 emulation or an 060.

So it is not about speed but compatibility, unless there is a trick to fool software into running on the 020...

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
It's kind of hard to spell it out much clearer than that.

A mega-fast '020 is a very interesting processor but I remain to be convinced that FPU emulation won't come with a severe speed penalty - I'd love to be proved wrong though.

I remember playing with a Mac SoftFPU in ShapeShifter and being delighted to see that the emulated FPU leaked over into the Amiga side too - yet I don't think anyone created an equivalent for the Amiga, did they?
It's not just the FPU needed, MMU is too. Plus most demos and games I run have been based on the 060 and check for that.

Last edited by lurch; 24 April 2015 at 08:27.
Page generated in 0.05132 seconds with 9 queries