View Single Post
Old 01 April 2015, 09:16   #71
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Are /etc, /var, usr/bin and usr/lib really that different?
Well, do an "ls usr/bin" or "ls usr/lib" and tell me what the files there do. Oh, go ahead and use "man" if you like, it tells you all you ever wanted to know.
Or why not try to use "cp" to copy files and look what happens to your metadata.

Windows is pretty obtuse, though, and most user software doesn't seem to bother with shared libraries at all. It's possible to do, i gather, but it's such a pain in the ass that developers typically just bundle all their DLLs with the executable, which kind of defeats the point really. And what about those drive letters? Imagine trying to explain to a kid why the main hard disk is C: and not A:.
Not to mention that the files are called "MRXZYZPTLK.DLL" and are stored as far away from the user as possible.

What actually is this "Envoy" thing, anyway? I never heard of it before, is it OS3.9? Is it official or 3rd party?
Envoy is (was) Commodore's local network system for the Amiga. After Commodore, the rights were taken over by IAM and Schatztruhe, so you could say it's both official and third party. The last maintainer was quite involved in AmigaOS v42+.

If you're only used to the AmiTCP way of networking, you'll be surprised by how much more Amiga-like Envoy is.
Page generated in 0.05156 seconds with 9 queries