View Single Post
Old 29 March 2015, 18:03   #47
clh333

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post

With your current setup, if you get a USB Zip drive (should be quite cheap on eBay) you can easily transfer files from your Amiga that way. Using WinUAE you should be able to directly access the Zip disks you wrote on the Amiga.

If you can afford it, Kryoflux or SuperCard Pro work with 5.25" drives too.
Thank you for your reply.

Do I understand you to mean obtain a USB ZIP drive for use with the PC? I have an IDE internal ZIP drive on one machine and a spare external - a little flaky, as I recall - that may be parallel interface. I also have PCI SCSI controllers, and could walk the SCSI ZIP to another machine.

In addition to problems with the 1010 floppy disks, at the moment both Amigas appear to have problems with their serial interfaces, either the 8520 or the 1488/1489 ICs (another thread on EAB; "Lost in a time warp").

My first thought was to transfer information by modem (to a PC with capacity and a DVD burner via a second phone line) but I couldn't establish communication with the Amiga's modem. When I ran aground on that tack I switched to interfacing the ZIP SCSI.

I considered purchasing the Kryoflux last year, but thought I would first see if I could make do with what I have before spending the $100-plus on yet another peripheral. My primary objective is to salvage the disks' information; they were stored, wrapped in plastic but in a damp and mildewed basement environment, for more than 20 years.

The Amiga is the means by which to extract that information. Unfortunately at the moment I am having difficulty negotiating those avenues.

Thank you once again for your suggestions. I'll look at the Kryoflux again.
Charles Hudson
clh333

Page generated in 0.04653 seconds with 11 queries