View Single Post
Old 27 March 2015, 23:51   #55
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
No there are huge differences, sure you could call that "superuser" but that's not the usual definition of the term.
Supervisor would perhaps be used to describe that initial state but even that is stretching.

(If anything my example have the actual user as superuser as he/she is the one that can give rights to others)
Since you are linking to Wikipedia, i take it you accept its authority on these things, so i'll quote the article on "superuser":
In Unix-like computer OSes, root is the conventional name of the user who has all rights or permissions (to all files and programs) in all modes (single- or multi-user).

The first process bootstrapped in a Unix-like system, usually called init, runs with root privileges. It spawns all other processes directly or indirectly, which inherit their parents' privileges. Only a process running as root is allowed to change its user ID to that of another user; once it's done so, there is no way back.
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Only if you currently are calling programs "users". That isn't the usual definition of users but...

It is you that applies the term user to anything that have privileges.

It is you that claims a system with several privileged entities is a multi-user system.
No... everyone else in this thread is trying to tell you this.

A "user" as far as the operating system design is concerned, is a set of privileges. Whether these sets of privileges are actually used by human beings or not is neither here nor there, a computer doesn't even know what a human being is.

Hence the confusion. Because in the real, outside world we think of a user as a human being. But there are not any human beings in an operating system.

Here is a list of some "users" currently running processes on my Linux PC, that are not human beings:

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 28 March 2015 at 00:40.
Page generated in 0.07568 seconds with 9 queries