View Single Post
Old 26 March 2015, 21:36   #49
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Start computer, OS owns all rights,
But that's just what "superuser" means in Unix...

drivers and subsystems/daemons started with the rights given to them.
User is in control, he starts a program which uses the default rights given to it. The program wants to check for updates but doesn't have the rights to access the Internet. It is halted and the user is prompted to either allow or disallow Internet access. The user accepts the access and the program continues.
There is no need to separate each part into a user to give them separate rights. That's all I've said and all I meant.
Ok but all you've done is make the programs be the "users".

There is nothing about "multi-user" that requires that the "users" be human beings. It is an abstract concept.

Anyway i think there is some confusion between the terms "single user" and "multi-user" because the word "user" means something different in each case. A "single user OS" is really one that has no concept of users at all; it is a "userless OS".

Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Here's my proposal for adding memory protection and resource tracking to AmigaOS: (relevant part is at end of document).

I'm not sure why none of the AmigaOSes have implemented this yet, it should work fine as described for old and new software, unless there is some issue I have overlooked. Comments and criticisms of this proposal are welcomed.
Don't feel left out, my proposals are being ignored too, it seems we'd all rather just argue about what "multi-user" means until judgement day.

I broadly agree with your suggestions, and have thought about such ideas myself, however i don't agree that most OS3 users have an MMU, a stock A1200 doesn't have one. I'm very interested in the possibilities for security without one, though. We might not be able to stop people writing willy-nilly to other program's memory if they are that naughty, but there are serious security holes in the Exec library itself. Currently you don't even need to play dirty to compromise a system.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 26 March 2015 at 21:41.
Page generated in 0.05351 seconds with 9 queries