View Single Post
Old 23 March 2015, 17:05   #18
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
I guess that was directed to me?

If so that have nothing to do with multi user support.
No, was aimed at daxb. And yes, it does.

You still haven't explained _how_ it is relevant.
I would rathet have you explain how it is not relevant - the model of having many "users" and "groups" to create layers of access to gain security in operating systems is way old now and used in just about all OSes. Software that is exposed to Internet and has a port it listens to, should run in its own "user space" with limited access to the rest of the system. This is what all system users and groups are for on *ix and WinNT - in case there is a way to exploit the software from remote, damage is limited by the software not having wide access, some sort of local superuser exploit is also needed for that. Likewise, the person operating the system should protect him/her self from having the system compromized, by not giving super user access to mundane applications that have no use for that kind of access.

Do you know other models for implementing general security in Operating Systems? If so, I am very intested.

Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Considering out of the whole amiga population two people and goat have a mmu. I doubt it will.
All systems running OS4, MorphOS and a vast majority of those running AROS, have systems with MMU, as do most amiga models with 68060, 68040 and even 68030 CPUs, as very few boards were sold with EC CPUs and many rely on the MMU to operate.

Last edited by TCD; 23 March 2015 at 17:11. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Page generated in 0.08977 seconds with 9 queries