View Single Post
Old 18 March 2015, 21:34   #1
Amiga security compared to other OS

Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Yeah, but explain to me why in this time and age I would want to play this old game Quake on an Amiga when I can play it in higher resolution and higher speed on my phone, or just about any other device I own.
Some 3D is not performance intensive and the hardware acceleration speeds up software which can take advantage of it. The Amiga ends up with more and faster software overall with 3D. The big downside to bringing better 3D to the 68k Amiga is that many users don't have 3D hardware (neither planned for any FPGA 68k hardware) but a 68k Warp3D Radeon driver would help to increase the number of 68k 3D users. If we polled the number of 68k AmigaOS UAE users, Mediator users, Prometheus users, GRex users, CVision/BVision users and Cybervision 64/3D users, what percentage of active 68k Amiga users do you think they would be?

I would focus on getting an up to date networking architecture already!
I agree that networking support is more important to more 68k AmigaOS users. Amiga 1200 and 600 users can network with their PCMCIA slots. Some new FPGA boards and accelerators will have ethernet. Networking through USB is working for more people now also. While the current networking software is old, it works well enough in most cases. Yeah, it would be nice if Olaf updated RoadShow more (it is the newest Amiga stack) and it became standard (and really should be a permanent part of instead of just licensed) on AmigaOS 3 and AmigaOS 4. This would take some investment again.

It would be good if USB was standard across AmigaOS 3 and 4 also. Poseiden works well but the MorphOS input.device with MorphOS ISA extended I/O commands snuck in and is being used. It's interesting that AROS chose the AmigaOS 4 ISA for their "trial" extended I/O command (there is only 1 so far). The new input.device allows for USB use without booting off the HD. This new input.device is more stable for me than the AmigaOS one although it is not very well optimized, at least the original. New Kickstarts (including ROMs) with USB support in the boot menu (booting off USB media also), large hard drive support and bug fixes would make AmigaOS 3 much better for the upgraded old hardware and for new FPGA hardware. There would be less problems if back porting and fixing the low level AmigaOS modules first and then work up to the high level modules.

And I would focus on "how can we build a modern platfom, yet retain the user experience of Amiga".
The tricky part is security. We can't have an Amiga which pops up annoying password requesters every 5 minutes like Unix systems. Most of the time it's still the same user at the terminal. The tougher question is for AmigaOS 4 which needs to be more secure and multi-user with 64 bits, SMP, memory protection and resource tracking to compete in professional higher end computing. AmigaOS classic 68k could be improved in some of these areas but it doesn't need them as much for low end computing and devices where being efficient, responsive and low cost is also very important. AmigaOS classic could be upgraded to where AmigaOS 4 is now (but with legacy custom chip support and a little less bloat) but AmigaOS 4 may end up breaking compatibility and nobody liking the results after upgrading it to be modern and competitive for the classes. I prefer the classic route for the masses which is easier. I know how nice a classic Amiga with 68060@75MHz is and I know it would mostly scale up. An FPGA that is matching the performance of my 68060 in FPGA at 100MHz has to be designed like a 1GHz+ hard CPU internally. I believe even a low end 68k ASIC could compete with the Raspberry Pi in performance and give a nice upgraded Amiga experience with modern I/O hardware. Maybe it's as crazy of an idea as anything on the Amiga after the failure of Hyperion but then there are Natami threads with 300,000+ hits. Maybe we just need to wake up all the middle aged ex-Amiga users by bringing back cheap fun computing without the hassles.
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.05714 seconds with 9 queries