View Single Post
Old 10 February 2015, 10:55   #36
demolition
Unregistered User

I agree with many others here that you are never too old to learn something new. The difference is that when you are young, you have fewer distractions (i.e. your mom telling you dinner is ready, and then later telling you to go to bed ) and can focus a lot more on the task at hand.

You have to ask yourself what you want to achieve and what your interests are as this will determine which language to go for. I like to learn the low level functionality of machines such as the C64 and Amiga, so Assembler is the natural choice as this brings me close to the hardware.

I also do software on the PC but here I would never consider doing Assembler by hand. I did back in the 90s a bit, but today it is too complicated for anyone I'd say. Here I prefer C# for GUI stuff and tools and C++ if I need performance. With C++ it is possible to lose touch of the execution speed if you use high level classes, but if you avoid that, you can learn to write C++ code in the correct way so it maps into very efficient ASM code. I sometimes check the ASM output from the compiler to check if it has produced reasonable code. While I may not write SSE2 Asm from scratch, it is still good to learn a bit about it so you can check the compiler output.

Mythbusters tested a while ago whether it was hard to learn an old dog new tricks. And no it wasn't. Actually it was surprisingly easy. It is all about focusing on the task and it can be done.

Page generated in 0.04817 seconds with 9 queries