English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Rick Dangerous Enhanced - An enhanced WIP version of a classic for Amiga RTG/Vampire (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86743)

Neil79 11 April 2017 13:09

Rick Dangerous Enhanced - An enhanced WIP version of a classic for Amiga RTG/Vampire
 
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iC3raF1-L...ckEnhanced.jpg

Quote:

Throughout the last few years we've had a lot of Rick Dangerous news, from the in development Atari 8bit port, to versions available to play as PC portable exes. But even though this game is regarded as a great classic platformer by many, with its Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider vibe from Core Design in 1989, there hasn't been any overhauled versions taking advantage of faster systems, at least until now anyway. Thanks to a heads up via our Commodore Amiga Facebook group from Jen Ser, here we have Rick Dangerous Enhanced, which is an enhanced version of a classic for Amiga RTG and Vampire based Amiga's that is in development.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/0...anced-wip.html

Locutus 11 April 2017 13:27

Why does a platformer like this require >68060 CPU power?

Neil79 11 April 2017 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus (Post 1151812)
Why does a platformer like this require >68060 CPU power?

Could be related to the Engine? The details as of this time are a bit vague :)

grond 11 April 2017 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus (Post 1151812)
Why does a platformer like this require >68060 CPU power?

I don't think it does. It seems to use many colours though and thus probably needs RTG. Could be that Z2 is too slow.

PortuguesePilot 11 April 2017 15:14

I love Rick Dangerous. Anything that has to do with Rick, I'll be instantly interested in.

Having said that, I'm also a big (huge) classic Amiga fan. I don't own (and likely will never own) any of those 68060, PPC or RTG broads and the Vampire is too expensive, so I'll stick the the classic hardware. Anything that goes beyond that will have to be dismissed by me. A shame, I know, but things are what they are and not what we want them to be.

But looking past that: this remake looks quite reminiscent of Sputnik's ill-fated remake for GameBoy Advanced. Does it have any relation? Is there a PC version of this remake?

DanyPPC 11 April 2017 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus (Post 1151812)
Why does a platformer like this require >68060 CPU power?


Maybe they aren't developed in assembler ;)

Locutus 11 April 2017 18:22

Ah yes, i forgot that one cant write reasonably fast code that controls the hardware in anything else.

TuKo 11 April 2017 19:23

Looks great ! Looking forward for a public release :-)

flype 11 April 2017 20:39

I tried it as beta, it is very nice piece of software, very close to original spirit.

Thanx a lot to the author(s) for the time and efforts putting in bringing stuff to Amiga.

Thorham 14 April 2017 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus (Post 1151897)
Ah yes, i forgot that one cant write reasonably fast code that controls the hardware in anything else.

A common misconception.

BarryB 14 April 2017 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorham (Post 1152516)
A common misconception.

Yes, not being able to identify sarcasm is a common misconception :D

grond 14 April 2017 15:55

Looks like we have several volunteers for optimising the code to make it work on lesser Amigas... B)

kolla 15 April 2017 23:21

This looks like port of .. what... 10 year old Rick Dangerous for Nintendo Wii.

Yes - http://gbatemp.net/threads/rick-dangerous-wii.112785/

r.cade 15 April 2017 23:41

That's weird. Not saying there is any reason for shenanigans, but in that video, there is no power light on the A600, and the icon for the game looks like a video file...

But nobody is asking for money on IndieGoGo right? so... OK.

grond 16 April 2017 09:49

If there is no power light, it's because the Amiga is open and the LED daughterboard isn't connected for easier access to the CF-card.

Carlos Ace 16 April 2017 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot (Post 1151855)
I love Rick Dangerous. Anything that has to do with Rick, I'll be instantly interested in.
Having said that, I'm also a big (huge) classic Amiga fan. I don't own (and likely will never own) any of those 68060, PPC or RTG broads and the Vampire is too expensive, so I'll stick the the classic hardware. Anything that goes beyond that will have to be dismissed by me. A shame, I know, but things are what they are and not what we want them to be.

I agree with you

Dan 16 April 2017 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.cade (Post 1152752)
... and the icon for the game looks like a video file...

I guess you haven't played rick dangerous yet ? or havent noticed the small film before each level:

https://youtu.be/UwBIDlcMU5Y?t=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDmJNcYLbuQ

if you pause the ytube video, you will see it clearlier (amiga video at time 00:33 to 00:44)

copse 17 April 2017 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolla (Post 1152750)
This looks like port of .. what... 10 year old Rick Dangerous for Nintendo Wii.

Yes - http://gbatemp.net/threads/rick-dangerous-wii.112785/

Good call. That Wii picture looks great, not sure how big the Wii screen is and whether the graphics were less scaled up. The collision detection looks painfully bad, but that's a minor detail which can be easily fixed by whomever is porting it if it makes a difference to them.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Page generated in 0.06502 seconds with 9 queries