English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   My new little project - CD32 Expansion Slot (prototype) (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86365)

spidi 13 March 2017 19:46

My new little project - CD32 Expansion Slot (prototype)
 
Expansion port and VGA connector designed for Amiga CD32.

https://retro.7-bit.pl/foto/CD32ExpansionSlot_M.JPG

Video

eXeler0 13 March 2017 21:00

Looks compact and nice. :great
And should be easy enough to 3d print a suitable cover for it.

Daedalus 13 March 2017 23:38

Nice... Any plans for peripherals for the pass-through slot? :)

Amigajay 13 March 2017 23:58

Looks nice, what's the reasoning for vga?

spidi 14 March 2017 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1146716)
Nice... Any plans for peripherals for the pass-through slot? :)

Yes, FastRAM and IDE controller.

spidi 14 March 2017 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1146724)
Looks nice, what's the reasoning for vga?

Availabilit.

earok 14 March 2017 05:43

Nice work!

Daedalus 14 March 2017 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidi (Post 1146732)
Yes, FastRAM and IDE controller.

Awesome! Great work :great

amigoun 14 March 2017 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1146724)
Looks nice, what's the reasoning for vga?

And with 15kHz compatible monitor such as BenQ BL912 or 702A you can display PAL directly thanks to it.

Amigajay 14 March 2017 14:06

That's cool for monitors, but as a console i think most people use them with their TV, RGB would have been better imo, sure you can get VGA to HDMi convertors, but then you need audio cables and connectors on your TV too.

Daedalus 14 March 2017 14:44

@Amigajay

I don't think it's a scandoubler (though correct me if I'm wrong), so the output will be 15kHz RGB that just happens to be using a VGA connector. Since 23-pin connectors are scarce (and wouldn't fit there anyway), it makes sense to use a VGA connector and then hopefully a simple passive adaptor could be used to connect to SCART. Effectively it would simply be the same as current RGB-SCART cables for the Amiga with a different connector on the Amiga end. CSync and pull-up/switch voltages would need to be added, but with careful consideration of the VGA pinout and design, these could be passed along spare VGA pins in a similar way to how KVMs do it.

Akira 14 March 2017 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidi (Post 1146732)
Yes, FastRAM and IDE controller.

OH yes oh yes oh yesssss.

Would those planned expansions work also with kipper2k's pass-through connector, which I already have?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1146829)
Since 23-pin connectors are scarce (and wouldn't fit there anyway)

A 23 pin connector (or SCART) does fit, you just throw it out the back. That's how kipper's adapter is.

talybont 14 March 2017 18:19

@spidi: great work.

@everyone else: Please don't let this thread devolve into a feature request/wish list. Support spidi without asking him to fulfill your needs. If he wants suggestions I'm sure he'll ask for it.

plasmab 14 March 2017 18:22

Nice work? open source it and save me from completing my riser?

Akira 14 March 2017 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1146889)
Nice work? open source it and save me from completing my riser?

I think we need as many of tehse pass-through connectors as we can, so any release is welcome, never mind what extra features it has in it.

I'm fine with just a pass-through if an expansion is made to go inside, anything else added or not, I don't care for. The main thing CD32 users need is a way for people to make expansions (RAM, IDE, etc) without having to rely in getting these annoying connectors. And this new adapter is a very welcome addition. I would definitely buy one even though I already have a kipper one. And if you are making an open source option, even better.

plasmab 14 March 2017 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1146903)
I think we need as many of tehse pass-through connectors as we can, so any release is welcome, never mind what extra features it has in it.

I'm fine with just a pass-through if an expansion is made to go inside, anything else added or not, I don't care for. The main thing CD32 users need is a way for people to make expansions (RAM, IDE, etc) without having to rely in getting these annoying connectors. And this new adapter is a very welcome addition. I would definitely buy one even though I already have a kipper one. And if you are making an open source option, even better.

I was going to add just VGA connector to mine and thats it. Maybe a header for the TTL level Serial port... but thats just for using with DiagROM (which is almost working on the Atari ST!!!).

idrougge 14 March 2017 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1146903)
I'm fine with just a pass-through if an expansion is made to go inside, anything else added or not, I don't care for. The main thing CD32 users need is a way for people to make expansions (RAM, IDE, etc) without having to rely in getting these annoying connectors.

This adapter already uses two of those so-called hard-to-get connectors.

plasmab 14 March 2017 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1146971)
This adapter already uses two of those so-called hard-to-get connectors.

What you mean from mouser for a couple of quid??? Those arent hard.. its the A1200 ones that are hard.

idrougge 15 March 2017 00:08

Exactly. I posted that link for you, remember?

Akira 15 March 2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1146971)
This adapter already uses two of those so-called hard-to-get connectors.

I am basically repeating what I heard. I am glad they can be found now, I guess at some point it was an issue.
So yeah, I'd welcome any and all CD32 expansions, no matter how they are done.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Page generated in 0.06243 seconds with 9 queries