English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Roadshow 1.14 is out (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104013)

Storm 20 September 2020 09:06

Roadshow 1.14 is out

Just incase anyone missed it, there has been an update to Roadshow TCP/IP stack after many years to 1.14
This update is available through https://www.amigashop.org/, in the download area of your customer account you used when purchasing Roadshow.

thairacerjp 20 September 2020 12:07

yes ! thanks you sir

nogginthenog 20 September 2020 15:06

Thanks I missed that.
I can now open an Amiga shell from a Linux box with:

Code:

rsh amiga "newshell *"

MickGyver 21 September 2020 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogginthenog (Post 1428869)
Thanks I missed that.

Code:

rsh amiga "newshell *"

What do you need to configure on the Amiga side for this to work?

nogginthenog 21 September 2020 19:20

From the amigaguide:

Quote:

Roadshow version 1.14 also has a built-in remote shell server itself, which is disabled by default. In order to enable it, you would need to add the following line to the "DEVS:Internet/servers" file:

shell stream internal
In my Debian Linux box "rsh" was an alias to "ssh". I had to "apt-get install rsh" to get a real rsh.

It's OK but not perfect. I'm too used to tab completion.
Hopefully a future AmigaOS release will add tab completion to the shell where it belongs!!

MickGyver 21 September 2020 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogginthenog (Post 1429132)
From the amigaguide:

In my Debian Linux box "rsh" was an alias to "ssh". I had to "apt-get install rsh" to get a real rsh.

It's OK but not perfect. I'm too used to tab completion.
Hopefully a future AmigaOS release will add tab completion to the shell where it belongs!!

Thanks, I got that far. I removed the "inactive" part from the devs/internet/servers file but I can't connect, seems like I need to do something else to activate the remote shell server on the Amiga.

EDIT: I got it working when using an RSH command I found for Windows, it didn't work on Ubuntu, but it is a virtual machine so probably something to do with the network configuration.

Jax 21 September 2020 22:44

Is this update also intended for AmigaOS 4.1?

S0ulA55a551n 22 September 2020 22:48

Its quite a list of improvements and fixes. Only bought roadshow a few weeks ago as well

nikosidis 22 September 2020 22:59

Is it faster than the old version?

npagonis73 23 September 2020 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikosidis (Post 1429387)
Is it faster than the old version?

It fixes many bugs but personally I didn’t see any increase compared to the older version. It was super fast before anyway...
Best TCP/IP stack by far!!!

LoadWB 23 September 2020 08:00

Excellent. Thanks for the heads-up.

Storm 23 September 2020 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by npagonis73 (Post 1429409)
It fixes many bugs but personally I didn’t see any increase compared to the older version. It was super fast before anyway...

I totally agree, but it's fantastic it is still being worked on and any improvement is good for the users.

Akiko 25 September 2020 00:58

A GUI would be nice.

npagonis73 25 September 2020 05:25

Try Roadie. Nice third party GUI for roadshow for basic functions.

E-Penguin 25 September 2020 13:31

What would it take to make this work on KS1.3? (other than a miracle!)

indigolemon 25 September 2020 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by npagonis73 (Post 1429835)

Glad you like it! I really need to find more time to expand Roadie a bit more (and add error checking for the config stuff).

crazyc 25 September 2020 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by npagonis73 (Post 1429835)

This is what I use as well.

Olaf Barthel 25 September 2020 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nogginthenog (Post 1428869)
Thanks I missed that.

Code:

rsh amiga "newshell *"

The mind boggles - I didn't actually test this when I built the server-side code. Thank you for checking out if it worked.

The new rsh service in Roadshow 1.14 was intended to be used really just for executing series of CLI commands, like this:

Code:

rsh amiga "if exists s:user-startup ; type s:user-startup ; endif"
Because you cannot conveniently insert line feed characters into a single line of text, I reworked the command line interpretation so that it is more Unix-like. This makes it more readable and easier to use when building scripts that link AmigaDOS and Unix.

Olaf Barthel 25 September 2020 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax (Post 1429198)
Is this update also intended for AmigaOS 4.1?

No, this is just an update for the AmigaOS 2.x/3.x 68k operating system versions (and it might also still work on MorphOS if you want to give it a shot).

Olaf Barthel 25 September 2020 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by npagonis73 (Post 1429409)

Roadshow 1.14 is mostly about bug fixes, but the rsh command which had been in the making since 2017 made me want to explore if the corresponding Amiga-native shell service was feasible. With rsh and the shell service Roadshow 1.14 achieves what Envoy could already do in 1992 :)

The most important change, in my opinion, is the updated update process: it's no longer quite so hard to make another Roadshow update and ship it. The new update script also takes care of all existing Roadshow versions 1.9-1.13 and is no longer restricted to just the last release version. Finding a good way to make this work took a lot time and led me through numerous embarrassing false starts and dead ends. The Installer scripting language lacked the kind of features which would have made automating the update process easier.

The commercial release also has an updated installation script which will upgrade the demo version to the commercial version if you launch it. It's no longer necessary to perform this process manually.