English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ZorRam R.I.P. ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86346)

Magic 12 March 2017 03:46

ZorRam R.I.P. ?

Hello,

I hate to even write this but I just killed my ZorRam 256 :crying. I plugged it in backwards by accident after a long bad week at work. Sad thing is I know better too. I tried opening a support ticket to ask AmigaKit but from what I have read they are way behind right now on support tickets.

Should I just bin it or can it be repaired?

Thanks,
Jeff

Zetr0 12 March 2017 11:49

@Magic

Its possible to be repaired pending on what is broken on it.

Looking at some pictures, it might be as simple as passive component needing replacement - I would suggest finding a local repair technician - I have been reading good things about Acill whom is US based - but with all things ensure you trust whom is repairing your goods.

Tell you what - post up some hi-res pictures of your ZorRAM card (both sides) from that I (and others) maybe able to help more.

Good luck Jeff =)

Mrz 12 March 2017 12:57

surely you broke the transistor located between the 2 caps
replace it
There is nothing else that can break in that card, is so simple

Magic 12 March 2017 17:23

Thank you I will look in to that. I don't see any damage, both sides still look like new.

Shadowfire 14 March 2017 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic (Post 1146411)
Thank you I will look in to that. I don't see any damage, both sides still look like new.

So... there's current-limiting resistors everywhere?

Shadowfire 14 March 2017 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrz (Post 1146367)
surely you broke the transistor located between the 2 caps
replace it
There is nothing else that can break in that card, is so simple

So... there's current-limiting resistors everywhere?

kgc210 15 May 2017 12:46

How did you get on trying to fix this?

I sent mine back to AmigaKit 11 months ago and they have done nothing with it so far, how I try and get it back from them I don't know though. Mine wasn't even plugged in wrong.

Magic 16 May 2017 02:27

I got a quick message from AmigaKit, after prodding them to finally answer the support ticket, saying that there probably wasn't anything they could do. To be honest I got the feeling that they just couldn't be bothered with it. It was totally my fault. I tossed it out so I wouldn't have to keep looking at it :(

FOL 16 May 2017 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic (Post 1158203)
I got a quick message from AmigaKit, after prodding them to finally answer the support ticket, saying that there probably wasn't anything they could do. To be honest I got the feeling that they just couldn't be bothered with it. It was totally my fault. I tossed it out so I wouldn't have to keep looking at it :(

It will more than likely the CPLD blown, which is what normally happens when the board is inserted upside down. Do the electrolytics read short?
I have changed alot, but we have run out of replacement chips.

EDIT:-Found your ticket, I actually said we could take a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgc210 (Post 1158049)
How did you get on trying to fix this?

I sent mine back to AmigaKit 11 months ago and they have done nothing with it so far, how I try and get it back from them I don't know though. Mine wasn't even plugged in wrong.

Let me look into it again for you.

Have to say these boards are rock solid, they dont just go faulty.

Shadowfire 19 May 2017 23:45

My 1/2 cent: The whole situation with ZorRAM not having a back plate (or a multitude of standalone products which don't even have a case, for that matter), is kind of reminiscent of not bothering to put reverse polarity protection on a power input jack. Sloppy, and the designer should know better.

Magic 20 May 2017 01:40

My BigRamPlus is idiot proof by design :) In my own defense the machine was open with all of the covers and plastic off. When your tired one side of a bare case looks a lot like the other.