English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Elite to get a sequel on PC via Kickstarter (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66531)

diablothe2nd 06 November 2012 09:52

Elite to get a sequel on PC via Kickstarter

video on BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

wonder if they'll reach their goal. it's pretty darn big!

anyone here planning on supporting it?

edit - here's the link to the kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous

Amiga1992 06 November 2012 11:35

I've seen bigger funds raised there, it will all come down to what Braben says: if there's REALLY a market for an Elite remake, the kickstarter will talk for itself.

Looking forward to this one, Elite has always been pretty awesome.

ptyerman 06 November 2012 11:42

So what happened to Elite IV? That's supposedly been in development since the nineties. If that's anything to go by I won't hold my breath!

Geraldine 06 November 2012 11:49

It is Elite IV in all but name. Remember "Elite III" was really called Frontier First Encounters. Its simply great there is going to be a new Elite game :)

ptyerman 06 November 2012 11:59

Yeah, "First Encounters" is the reason I got a PC back in 96. Well that and Doom! :D
I'm just wondering why the kickstarter project now when it was supposed to be released back in 99/2000?

Predseda 06 November 2012 12:14

What is the difference between 20 and 30 GBP pledge? :)

diablothe2nd 06 November 2012 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 849004)

one extra reserved copy? or maybe a warm fuzzy feeling that you pledged £10 more than most :nuts

roy bates 06 November 2012 13:32

is there any post productions pics of what this game will look and play like?
all ive seen is the original version for the bbc in the video's if this a version 4 why is the game called elite dangerous on top of the old logo?

because it looks like its hinting at a remake of the original game,or am i missing something?

diablothe2nd 06 November 2012 13:34

i vaguely saw something on the screens in the video. had to squint hard at them tho :laughing

Predseda 06 November 2012 13:42

I am currently happy with my Giana that came from Kickstarter too. I will probably not support new Elite, I have never played the original and I also was not a big fan of Frontier.

ptyerman 06 November 2012 13:58

Frontier was a bit boring at times, the original Elite was better. Frontier First Encounters though was fantastic despite all the bugs. If a new Elite is anything like First Encounters it will be well worth playing! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 849031)
I am currently happy with my Giana that came from Kickstarter too. I will probably not support new Elite, I have never played the original and I also was not a big fan of Frontier.

roy bates 06 November 2012 14:22

ok it is a sequel,but in my defence i was distracted by the presenters prenounciation of elite lol.

yes i was looking at the background monitors as well,shame they dident show any of that and concetrated on the original game.

EDIT: actually i think i would be more interested if someone made first encounters for the amiga(i dont really care about the fancy skins)

im not sure about multiplayer for the new game either,i dont fancy taking on real peaple in elite.it will be like dayz.
just saying:)

ptyerman 06 November 2012 14:35

+1000 for First Encounters on the Amiga. That would be awesome! :great

alenppc 06 November 2012 15:00

I am not sure why the BBC calls it a "remake". If you read Braben's kickstarter page, it's very obvious this is going to be a sequel, or the fabled Elite IV. I am a massive fan of Frontier and First Encounters (likewise it caused me to get a second hand PC in 1998) so I have endorsed this.

lazi 06 November 2012 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 849004)

The price. After the limited 10000 copies sold by 20 GBP you can only have it for 30 GBP.

Amiga1992 06 November 2012 18:18

So, let me get this straight now...
If the game has been in development for so long and actually at some point was even available for pre-order or had a release date, what are the 2 million for?

jimbob 06 November 2012 19:15

March 2014 eh? Looks like it will go pretty much head to head with Star Citizen then. I think I might pencil in Spring 2014 to finally replace my old Athlon, buy an Oculus Rift and retire from real life.

Dastardly 06 November 2012 19:16

Massive Frontier fan. I'll be chipping in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 849077)
...buy an Oculus Rift and retire from real life.

I'll see you on the grid ;)

Ian 06 November 2012 19:57

Hopefully at least 1 million of the 1.25 has been set aside for play testing and bug elimination.

alenppc 06 November 2012 20:54

$2 million is not a lot at all for a modern game... it's just the basis to get started really. I worked on PC games that cost $60 million to develop. And we are talking about 4-5 years ago...

There is a reason why today the creativity is dead: nobody wants to risk losing money. So much easier to make NFL 13 game by changing the number "12" into "13" and to write a press release stating how many imaginary things have been changed. That's low risk development.

This is high risk, but real creative stuff, that's why they need the base to start... Plus Braben's company is rather small. 300 employees for a game dev is not a big deal in this day and age.