English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Born again... And totally revved. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=29429)

ORSM T 27 April 2007 12:14

Born again... And totally revved.

Hi everyone, I just registered and will be snooping around. I have spent the last 12 years in the dark ages, and have renewed my faith in Amiga. Having joyously discovered EMULATION. I have spent the last few days revisiting lost memories... Bliss. I intend to get another A1200HD and get back into this. Might see what else I can find too. Maybe an A500/590 combo.. Cool!!! Had both these machines before I got my Pentium 100.... Hahahahaha.... Seems a century ago now.

I'm sure I'll get to chat with some of you, and no doubt will have a few questions over time. If this post is in the wrong place, then Mods? Please move and advise. Thank you all.

musashi5150 27 April 2007 12:25

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your renewal of faith ;) I'm sure you'll like it here.

ORSM T 27 April 2007 12:29

Hehehe, the last time I had an Amiga, Rom 2.04 was the newest... Put it in my A500 rev 6. Have some catching up to do...:agree

Zetr0 27 April 2007 13:22

welcome back unto the fold brother ORSM T...

or was it...

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own... resistence is futile...

Muzkat 27 April 2007 16:11

Welcome to the best board on the net matey. Have fun.

kriz 27 April 2007 16:15

Welcome and enjoy ;)

Peter 27 April 2007 21:42

Hey Now (as Hank Kingsley would say) ORSM T - welcome back to the world of Amiga... this is a great forum with plenty of people who know what they are talking about... and the zone is a great place to pick up the odd thing now and then as well.

turrican3 27 April 2007 23:50

congratulation for your comeback

ORSM T 28 April 2007 08:52

Thank you all for your warm welcome. I do have only one question at this stage. In Winuae, I'm trying to setup a HDF, but I have nothing to browse to for the file system. Is there something like a rom or similar that needs to loaded? The closest I get to success, is when I'm asked to insert disc dh0: I assume it needs a file system and a format.

Disregard the HDF question.. I got it sorted... Woohoo!!

cooldude 28 April 2007 11:21

Welcome to THE board dude :cheese

Great to have yet another Aussie on EAB

BTW I NEVER stopped using my Amiga :great :cool

Cheers Mate!

Anubis 28 April 2007 15:34

I still remember thrill when I was able to get hand holding floppy screen of 1.3 KS on my laptop 6-7 years ago. That was great feeling. :)

ORSM T, welcome to the community. :great

Dr. Dude 28 April 2007 17:56

:bowdown A lost one has been found again
Welcome brother:cheese

ORSM T 02 May 2007 05:55

Just purchased an A1200HD. This was my last Amiga before crossing to the dark side. I intend, or would like to run an lcd montior on this. Any recommendations on how to set it up? And required hardware to get high res and flicker free?

Zetr0 02 May 2007 14:43

@ORSM T
there are a few ways to skin this cat, so i will start with the cheapest

1. you can buy a tv / rgb converter on ebay for about £30 ish

Assuming you already have a TFT/LCD

(i have one the quality through rgb is awsome!)

2. Scan D/FF internal / external unit

okay so lets assume you want to see the Scan doubler / Flicker Fixer route

IF you could find one you are looking between £50 to £100 (wich ain`t pretty in ausie dollars!) and to be honest these are getting rarer!!! and as some members on this board have found out that not all A1200 motherboard revisions work with these units!

3. TFT TV

Finnally lets assume you dont have a TFT/LCD

If you can find an LCD tv that has an RGB input the picture quality will indeed be awsome! here have a read on this thread as it will help you make a decision http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=tv+lcd

ORSM T 02 May 2007 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetr0
@ORSM T
there are a few ways to skin this cat, so i will start with the cheapest

1. you can buy a tv / rgb converter on ebay for about £30 ish

Assuming you already have a TFT/LCD

(i have one the quality through rgb is awsome!)

2. Scan D/FF internal / external unit

okay so lets assume you want to see the Scan doubler / Flicker Fixer route

IF you could find one you are looking between £50 to £100 (wich ain`t pretty in ausie dollars!) and to be honest these are getting rarer!!! and as some members on this board have found out that not all A1200 motherboard revisions work with these units!

3. TFT TV

Finnally lets assume you dont have a TFT/LCD

If you can find an LCD tv that has an RGB input the picture quality will indeed be awsome! here have a read on this thread as it will help you make a decision http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=tv+lcd

Thanks for the informed response. The LCD monitor I was looking at is for a PC. So it's a VGA based monitor. Still doable?

Zetr0 02 May 2007 21:49

yes indeed it is, but you will require tv tuner / rgb scaler like in number 1 :)

Merlin 02 May 2007 22:15

@ Zetro

There is a third way that you seem to have overlooked, that is fitting a TV card with a composite input into the PC, capture the video signal and display it on the TFT - that way you can have both on one display.

I did a PSOne hooked up to my PC that way, the Amiga can't be that much different and the TV card resolves the flicker problem.

Yes, I know that the picture quality will suffer a bit but at least it's a cheaper way to go to solve the problem.

Comments?

Merlin

ORSM T 02 May 2007 22:21

Thanks Merlin, but I will be setting up an Amiga desk. Seperate to my PC setup. Opposing corners of my computer room. So a dedicated monitor is required. Hehehe a bar fridge will complete a perfect room. :D

Zetr0 02 May 2007 23:34

@Merlin
indeedy... i missed that one LOL.... its err... Anubis's fault.... he was jestering something..... :shocked

Merlin 03 May 2007 11:54

Np Zetro, I just want to add my "nessilized spollidge" to the board.. :D