English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.SPS (was CAPS) (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   FAO Fiath. The impossible dumps (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13932)

Craigt 13 June 2004 18:30

FAO Fiath. The impossible dumps

I have had another go at dumping some disks on my Amiga (I must like punishing myself or something :) )

I picked a random game out of the attic, which turned out to be Toki, and dumped it 4 times using different configurations...

1. DF1:, Mode 0, caches off, Blizzard installed.
2. DF0:, Mode 0, caches off, Blizzard installed.
3. DF1:, Mode 1, caches on, Blizzard installed.
4. DF1:, Mode 0, caches off, Blizzard installed. Alternative SIMM.

I was going to attempt to dump it with my blizzard removed, but I realised that I would have to get PC2Amiga working since my memory expansion will have to go with it. Maybe I will get it sorted one day...

Anyway, after dumping the disks I transfered them to my PC and compared the dumps using Beyond Compare (a text/binary file comparason application). Supprisingly, they are all significantly different. Even dumps 1 and 4 which I thought should be identical show large differences and very different file sizes.

I am currently uploading them to the FTP in the CraigT folder. Its going to take another 20 minutes or so to upload them (damn 56k :( ). Do you think they will shine any light on my Amiga's problem?

Toni Wilen 13 June 2004 18:32

RAW dumps can't be ever identical. It is impossible to start read exactly at the same position.

Don't worry, they are most likely just fine :)

oldpx 13 June 2004 18:54

http://www.caps-project.org/articles.php?id=diffdumps

fiath 13 June 2004 21:25

Exactly x 2.

When I have some more time (hopefully tonight, but you never know) I'll take a look. And maybe even catch up with some of my mail (Burseg) ;)

Craigt 14 June 2004 01:09

Mental note - Read the FAQ ;)

Cheers for that, Fiath. I will keep my fingers crossed.

fiath 17 June 2004 01:31

Dump 2 worked fine! :D
So I guess maybe it is the drive which was the problem... Wierd.

Anyway, feel free to continue now, but remember to use that setup ;)

Craigt 17 June 2004 23:11

Fantastic! Looks like i'm going to have to find some free time to work through the disks i've got :)

fiath 19 June 2004 13:32

Okay great :)
Well, I think it is worth uploading another disk under that config to check - just before you do a dumping blitz and we find something went wrong. I'm sure it'll be fine though.

Craigt 20 June 2004 17:41

I'm uploading a dump of Sensible Soccer at the moment.

I dumped it thinking that you didn't have a dump of V1.1. But after looking at the CAPS database again it looks like I missed it :rolleyes

IFW 20 June 2004 18:08

Never mind, it was good to confirm that you have a stable dumping setup now - go ahead, dump the other games :)
btw: the second disk is heavily modified, just in case you are interested.

IFW 20 June 2004 18:15

Just compared the first disk with the others we have and unfortunately your disk is a completely different version of Sensi, although it looks like the other v1.1 ones... too bad the second disk is modified.

jmmijo 20 June 2004 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFW
Just compared the first disk with the others we have and unfortunately your disk is a completely different version of Sensi, although it looks like the other v1.1 ones... too bad the second disk is modified.

So I take it the second disk is the data/play disk and of course it was write enabled ;)

IFW 20 June 2004 20:07

Yes, afaik you can edit teams etc and sadly many people enjoyed those options...

Craigt 20 June 2004 22:03

Bit of a shame, really. I picked the game up a couple of weekends ago at a car boot sale for the bargain price of 50p :) I noticed the disks were write enabled just before I dumped them today but couldn't tell if anything had been saved. Ah well... I will start to dump the rest of my stuff :)

[edit] Forgot to mention. This is the version of sensi that I have.

jmmijo 20 June 2004 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFW
Yes, afaik you can edit teams etc and sadly many people enjoyed those options...

Well you have to remember that most/many people wouldn't have thought about making archival backup copies for their own use, even when many backup/copy utilities were available at the time ;)

Galahad/FLT 27 December 2004 18:43

The Sensible Soccer MFM disk format cannot be duplicated by normal means