English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Chip music (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=12587)

SilentBob 27 January 2004 14:40

Chip music

Dunno where this might take us but....

Been listening to different computer music lately and was wondering

Which sound chip generates the best "chip music"?

I've always been partial to the good old C64 and SID myself. Find myself listening to my collection of SID tunes all the time.

Edit: (Hm, I posted wrong again. Should've probably been in Nostaliga section. :scream: )

rattus 27 January 2004 16:21

Paula all the way, because SID brain my damage :crazy

Amiga1992 27 January 2004 18:41

Something is very wrong about this, cine Paula is no chip like the others. First off paula is NOT a synth chip, the others are. And paula is much more than just a digital sound generator or something like that, it also controls I/O

So Iwould take it off the list. SID is king anyway :D

khephren 27 January 2004 19:16

Amiga chip music sucked compared to what SID knocked out (never heard a decent rendition of Delta or Sanxion), but listen to them both with the same glazed eyed nostalgia.

cv643d 27 January 2004 19:51

Theres some amazing AY tunes out there, download some AY raiders tunes and listen to some. http://www.ayriders.prv.pl/ free albums made on ZX-Spectrum and other AY YM machines.

I cant pick a winner though, they are all good.

I also like Future Composer tunes if anyone cares.. revolutionary.fc14 or was it *.fc13 rocks! Most favoritue tune evar omfg! Any other FC listeners here?!

FromWithin 27 January 2004 19:59

The best music was produced on the SID, but the Paula is technically better by virtue of the fact that you can write the waveforms in real-time. i.e. it's possible to emulate the SID functions on the Paula using some CPU time. If only people had realised how easy it is to write a filter, I'm sure much better-sounding music would have appeared on the Amiga. As it happened, almost everyone stuck raw with sample-playback because it doesn't require any processor time.

khephren 27 January 2004 21:06

@cv643d: Yep Future Composer 1.3 and 1.4 modules. Keo and Kerni tunes are superb, although the Horizon tune by Blaizer takes the biscuit as the best one.

You could add SidMon, Delta, SoundMon and JamCracker (Dr Awesome's JC tunes are excellent an all)

manicx 28 January 2004 08:55

There have been chip tunes on the Atari ST that are pure magic. I recommend listening to Frank Seemann's (TAO) tunes as well as to Joris de Man (Scavenger) and Jochen Hippel's.

The best Chip music though can be heard from the YM3449 and the Atari Falcon. By far one of the best sound chips used in a home computer...

SilentBob 28 January 2004 13:08

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
Something is very wrong about this, cine Paula is no chip like the others. First off paula is NOT a synth chip, the others are. And paula is much more than just a digital sound generator or something like that, it also controls I/O

So Iwould take it off the list. SID is king anyway :D

Yeah, I kept that in mind while making the poll, and wasn't sure whether to include it or not, but since we're on an Amiga board, and chip tunes exist in abundance on the Amiga (Misc trackers, THX and Future Composer among others), I added it anyways. :)

hype 10 June 2004 14:23

SID all the way!
but all 4-mat chippies is also good, you know Anarchy, on the amiga...

RetroMan 10 June 2004 14:29

SID simply rox :D

cosmiq 11 June 2004 13:27

Yeeah!! SID Rules.. I've got four of them in my PC!! :)

JudasEZT 11 June 2004 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by hype
SID all the way!
but all 4-mat chippies is also good, you know Anarchy, on the amiga...

I say the same.. and add Pink/Abyss.

oldpx 11 June 2004 20:33

Even I said SID. It's so retro, so sweet. :D

Amiga1992 13 June 2004 01:47

so powerful and way, WAY beyond of retro. It's a very intersting synthesizer, and everyone and his dog is trying to use its sound today.

oldpx 13 June 2004 01:55

When it comes to audio hardware, I don't understand the technical details of a PC speaker so I can only like SID because it's retro :D

Nexjen 13 June 2004 13:35

The NES Synth is very good. ;)

Carlos Ace 28 July 2004 21:56

SID Rules :great

Mr Softy 29 July 2004 09:48

You gotta love SID...

What about the (original, gray) gameboy synth? I love its sound too... Wich leads me to another question, maybe OT but whatever... when you play an Classic GB game on a GBA, is the sound emulated?

cosmiq 29 July 2004 10:46

No the sound is not emulated. The gameboy just makes use of less of the posibilities of a GBA. (The GBA can generate synth sounds and also can playback waves, the normal gameboy only just uses synth sounds)...
-Cosmiques